Ohio State Route 174
|Maintained by ODOT|
|Length:||9.56 mi (15.39 km)|
|Existed:||1923 – present|
|South end:||Old Mill Rd in Gates Mills|
|US 322 in Gates Mills
US 6 in Willoughby Hills
|North end:||US 20 / SR 640 in Willoughby|
State Route 174 (SR 174, OH 174) is a 9.56-mile (15.39 km) long north–south state highway in the northeastern quadrant of the U.S. state of Ohio. The highway runs from its southern terminus at a T-intersection with Old Mill Road in a quiet residential neighborhood in the eastern Cleveland suburb of Gates Mills to its northern terminus at a signalized intersection with U.S. Route 20 (US 20) in Willoughby that doubles as the eastern terminus of SR 640.
The routing of SR 174 takes it through eastern Cuyahoga County and western Lake County. No portion of SR 174 is included within the National Highway System (NHS). The NHS is a network of routes determined to be most important for the economy, mobility and defense of the country.
|This section requires expansion. (May 2011)|
When SR 174 was established in 1923, it consisted of the following routing: Starting from its southern terminus at SR 91 in Solon, it followed what is now Solon Road northeasterly into Chagrin Falls. It then ran northwest along what is now Chagrin Boulevard, formerly designated as US 422 and, before that, SR 16, to Chagrin River Road. From there, SR 174 utilized Chagrin River Road heading north into Gates Mills, where it tied into its present-day southern terminus, and then followed the entirety of its current routing to its northern terminus in downtown Willoughby.
In 1929, SR 174 took on its present shape when all of the highway south of Gates Mills was removed from the state highway system. Its new (and present) southern terminus was at US 322, which followed Old Mill Road at the time. Even though US 322 was re-routed to the north within Gates Mills in 1940, SR 174 continues to end at Old Mill Road to this day.
||Gates Mills||0.00||0.00||Old Mill Rd||Southern terminus at T-intersection|
|0.91||1.46||US 322||Signalized intersection|
||Willoughby Hills||5.37||8.64||US 6||Signalized intersection|
|Willoughby||7.87||12.67||SR 84 west||Western split of SR 84/SR 174 duplex; SR 84 joins from the west|
|8.21||13.21||SR 84 east||Signalized intersection marking eastern split of SR 84/SR 174 duplex;
SR 84 departs to the southeast
|9.36||15.06||US 20 west||Signalized intersection marking southern split of US 20/SR 174 duplex;
US 20 joins from the southwest
|9.56||15.39||US 20 east
SR 640 east
|Northern terminus at signalized intersection; US 20 continues east as solo route;
Also eastern terminus of SR 640
- Ohio Department of Highways and Public Works (April 1922) (MrSID). Map of Ohio State Highways (Map). Cartography by ODHPW. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/TransSysDev/Innovation/prod_services/Documents/StateMaps/otm1922a.sid. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- Ohio Department of Highways and Public Works (July 1923) (MrSID). Map of Ohio Showing State Routes (Map). Cartography by ODHPW. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/TransSysDev/Innovation/prod_services/Documents/StateMaps/otm1923a.sid. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams: SR 174, Cuyahoga County". Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- Ohio Department of Transportation. "Technical Services Straight Line Diagrams: SR 174, Lake County". Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- Federal Highway Administration (December 2003) (PDF). National Highway System: Ohio (Map). http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/nhs/maps/oh/oh_Ohio.pdf. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- Ohio Department of Highways and Public Works (April 1928) (MrSID). Map of Ohio Showing State Highway System (Map). Cartography by ODHPW. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/TransSysDev/Innovation/prod_services/Documents/StateMaps/otm1928a.sid. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- Ohio Department of Highways (August 1929) (MrSID). Map of Ohio Showing State Highway System (Map). Cartography by ODOH. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/TransSysDev/Innovation/prod_services/Documents/StateMaps/otm1929a.sid. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- Ohio Department of Highways (1939) (MrSID). Ohio Highway Map (Map). Cartography by ODOH. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/TransSysDev/Innovation/prod_services/Documents/StateMaps/otm1939a.sid. Retrieved 2009-09-30.
- Ohio Department of Highways (1940) (MrSID). Ohio Highway Map (Map). Cartography by ODOH. http://www.dot.state.oh.us/Divisions/TransSysDev/Innovation/prod_services/Documents/StateMaps/otm1940a.sid. Retrieved 2009-09-30.