Oded Balilty (Hebrew: עודד בלילטי, born 1979, Jerusalem) is an Israeli documentary photographer. He is an Associated Press photographer and won the Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Photography in 2007.
Balilty was born and raised in Jerusalem. He served as a photographer for the IDF magazine BAMAHANE and after his army service worked as a photographer for Zoom 77 News Agency. From 2002 he was an AP (Associated Press) photographer. In 2005, Balilty was chosen to attend the JOOP World Press Master Class. In 2007, Balilty had won the Pulitzer Prize award in Breaking News Photography. During 2007-2008 he was based in Beijing, China, for Associated Press. In 2010, Balilty established together with other photographers, a Center for Documentary Photography, Doco Club, as a platform for documentary photography and a place to study documentary photography. Today he lives in Tel-Aviv and engages with newsworthy and documentary photography in Israel and abroad for The Associated Press.
- 2011 "Marginal Notes" N&N Amana Gallery, Tel Aviv
- 2009 POV Photo festival in Tel Aviv
- 2009 "Hide and Seek" at the Artist House in Jerusalem
- 2008 "China", photo festival of Gijon, Spain
- 2007 “Chernobyl Today”, Coalmine photo gallery, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2007 Lucca Digital Photo Festival, Italy
- 2007 Musée d'ethnographie de Neuchâtel, Switzerland
- 2005 Coalmine photo gallery, Zurich, Switzerland
- 2006 “Chernobyl Today”, festival du Scoop, Angers, France
- 2000 "Reflected Reality" (with artist Anna Shapira), Z.O.A House, Tel-Aviv
Selected group exhibitions
- 2011 Ashdod Museum – A road to nowhere
- 2008 Yad Vashem Holocaust museum, Jerusalem, portraits of Holocaust survivors
- 2005 joint exhibition of Israeli and Palestinian photographers, War photography museum, Dubrovnik, Croatia
- 2004 "AP Jerusalem", VISA pour L'image Perpignan, France
- 2009 PX3 3rd place in photojournalism general news category with "China Earthquake"
- 2009 Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar, 3rd place in feature picture story " Tel Aviv 100"
- 2009 Pulitzer Prize finalist for the coverage of earthquake in south west China (with group of photographers from The Associated Press)
- 2009 Picture of the Year International (POYI) Award of excellence for his work "Ping pong Nation" from Beijing and Award of excellence for the coverage of earthquake in south west China
- 2009 The PGB Award 1st prize for the coverage of earthquake in south west China
- 2009 The 75th National Headliner Awards in Photography portfolio
- 2009 NPPA Awards, Honorable mention, in Natural Disaster category
- 2008 World Press Photo - 3rd place People in the news
- 2008 Picture of the Year International (POYI) 3rd place in news picture story
- 2008 APME for the coverage of earthquake in south west China in May 2008
- 2008 Unicef Photo of the Year 2nd place for the coverage of earthquake in south west China in May 2008
- 2008 Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar received awards in five categories for his work in China
- 2007 Awarded at the National Geographic All Roads Photography Program
- 2007 Pulitzer Prize in Photography braking News
- 2007 1st prize in "People in the news" World Press Photo
- 2007 1st prize in Germany Lead Awards 2007 in Photography Category
- 2007 1st prize in POYI in human conflict category
- 2007 1st prize in International Headliner Award
- 2007 1st and 2nd prize in NPPA
- 2007 1st prize in National Headliner Award for Magazines, News Services, Syndicates – Spot News Photography
- 2007 Photography Spot News in Sigma Delta Chi Award
- 2007 APME Award for the cover of the Israeli - Lebanese War (with group of Photographers)
- 2006 Unicef Photo of the Year honorable mention for "single picture"
- 2006 Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar - awarded 1st Place and best in show
- 2006 Atlanta Photojournalism Seminar 2006 1st place in spot news
- 2006 1st' prize of the Editor and Publisher Award for Multiple Images Photo Essay and honorable mention for "single picture"
- 2004 1st prize of the Editor and Publisher Award for multiple images/photo essays from Chernobyl
- 2003 APME News Photography Award for the coverage of Violence in the Middle East
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language