|Single by 2 Chainz featuring Drake|
|from the album Based on a T.R.U. Story|
|Released||May 8, 2012|
|Genre||Hip hop, southern hip hop|
|Writer(s)||Tauheed Epps, Aubrey Graham, Michael Williams, Marquel Middlebrooks|
|Producer||Mike WiLL Made It, Marz|
|2 Chainz singles chronology|
"No Lie" is a song by American rapper 2 Chainz, released as the lead single from his debut studio album Based on a T.R.U. Story (2012). The song, which serves as his debut single, features Canadian rapper Drake and was produced by Mike WiLL Made It. The song was released to iTunes on May 8, 2012, and based on digital downloads was able to debut in the top 50 on the Billboard Hot 100. The single has sold 1,000,000 copies digitally, and has been certified Platinum.
Billboard commented on the track by saying "...'No Lie' recalls Lil Wayne's recent 'She Will' single when Drake steps in to slow things down on the chorus, but 2 Chainz sounds hungrier than his counterpart here, steamrolling over the beat and slinging vicious rhymes. 2 Chainz' voice is silent on the track for about a minute and 40 seconds as Drake struts into focus, and while the Canadian superstar gamely handles his assignment, the listener misses Chainz' urgency until he returns, possessed, for the third verse. Wordplay isn't the MC's strong suit, but it doesn't need to be-his career renaissance can be chalked up as much to his acceptance of his own firecracker energy as his smart selection of beats. No lie: 2 Chainz probably has another hit on his hands."Complex named the song #17 on their list of the best 50 songs of 2012.
The song debuted at number 46 on the Billboard Hot 100 based on digital downloads alone. In its tenth week, the song peaked at number 24. For the week of August 18, 2012, the song reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart becoming Drake's 10th No. 1 on the chart. Thus the tie that he had previously possessed with Jay-Z for most No. 1 hits on the chart was broken. After the ascent of "No Lie" to No. 1, Drake now has the most No. 1 hits on the R&B/Hip-Hop songs chart for any rapper in history. The single also reached the summit of the Rap Songs chart, and became Drake's 13th No. 1 hit, thus extending his record for most No. 1 hits on the chart over runner-up Diddy who has ten. The song has so far sold over 1,000,000 digital copies in the United States.
Charts and certifications
Radio and release history
|United States||May 8, 2012||Digital download||Def Jam|
|May 15, 2012||Urban radio|
See also↑Jump back a section
- Vasquez, Andres (8/2/2012). "Hip Hop Digital Singles Sales: The Week Ending 7/29/2012". Retrieved 4 August 2012. More than one of
- "Track Review: 2 Chainz feat. Drake, 'No Lie'". Billboard. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- 17. 2 Chainz f/ Drake "No Lie" — The 50 Best Songs of 2012 | Complex
- Rap-Up.com || Video: 2 Chainz f/ Drake – ‘No Lie’
- "2 Chainz and Drake - No Lie". acharts.us. Retrieved May 29, 2012.
- "Drake Tops Jay-Z For R&B/Hip-Hop Chart No. 1s Record". Billboard. Retrieved Aug 11, 2012.
- "Chart Highlights: Muse Returns, David Nail Covers Adele". Billboard. Retrieved Aug 27, 2012.
- rap is hip hop: Rap Digital Singles Sales
- "2 Chainz Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for 2 Chainz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "2 Chainz Album & Song Chart History" Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Songs for 2 Chainz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "2 Chainz Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Rap Songs for 2 Chainz. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved July 16, 2012.
- "American single certifications – 2 Chainz feat. Drake – No Lie". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Best of 2012 - Hot 100 Songs". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-14.
- "R&B/Hip-Hop Songs - 2012 Year End Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- "Rap Songs - 2012 Year End Charts". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2012-12-17.
- iTunes - Music - No Lie - Single by 2 Chainz
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language