|4th Mayor of Porirua|
|Born||1978/1979 (age 33–34)|
Nick Leggett (born 1979) is the current Mayor of Porirua. He was the youngest mayor in New Zealand at the time of his election in October 2010.
Leggett was born in Porirua City in 1979. He received his early education from Paremata School and Tawa College. He graduated with a BA in political science from Victoria University. While growing up, he lived in Whitby, Plimmerton, Papakowhai and Paremata.
Leggett worked as a real estate agent, specialising in commercial and industrial sales.
Local body politics
Leggett was first elected to Porirua City Council as a councillor in 1998 when he was 19. He wanted to achieve better representation of younger people on council, as 75% of the population were under 45 but nobody on council was. He was re-elected in 2001, but did not stand for election in 2004. In 2007, he was elected in the Porirua Northern Ward, coming second.
In the October 2010 local body elections he contested the Porirua mayoralty as one of nine candidates. He was endorsed by the outgoing mayor of 12 years, Jenny Brash plus former mayor, John Burke. Leggett was successful with 5930 votes, his closest rival, incumbent deputy mayor Litea Ah Hoi, receiving 2973 votes. Aged 31 in October 2010, he is currently New Zealand's youngest mayor. There have been younger mayors, including late Prime Minister Norman Kirk, who in 1953 by the age of 30 was mayor of Kaiapoi.
He currently lives in Camborne. His family moved into the Porirua area in the 1950s, where most of them still reside.
- "About Nick". Nick Leggett. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Gilchrist, Jennifer (3 July 2010). "Nine contenders compete in Porirua mayoral race". newswire.co.nz. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Broun, Britton (11 October 2010). "Porirua's new mayor New Zealand's youngest". Dominion Post. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Porirua City Council – Northern Ward". Elections NZ. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Open race for mayoralty of Porirua". Radio NZ. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "New mayor for Porirua". Radio NZ. 10 October 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Porirua City Mayor". Elections 2010. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- Dando, Kris (12 October 2010). "Porirua mayor-elect Nick Leggett 'humbled' by level of support". Kapi-Mana News. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
- "Porirua Community Trust Ward 1". Elections NZ. Retrieved 29 October 2010.
|Mayor of Porirua
2010 – present