New Riders of the Purple Sage (album)
|New Riders of the Purple Sage (album)|
|Studio album by New Riders of the Purple Sage|
|Recorded||December 1970 –
|Genre||Country rock, Psychedelic Rock|
|Producer||New Riders of the Purple Sage|
|New Riders of the Purple Sage chronology|
|Jerry Garcia chronology|
|The Music Box|||
New Riders of the Purple Sage is the self-titled debut album by the American country rock band the New Riders of the Purple Sage. It was released by Columbia Records in 1971, and reached number 39 on the Billboard charts.
New Riders of the Purple Sage is the only studio album by the New Riders to feature co-founder Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead on pedal steel guitar. He is also featured on the live album Vintage NRPS.
All songs written by John Dawson.
- "I Don't Know You" – 2:26
- "Whatcha Gonna Do" – 3:17
- "Portland Woman" – 3:36
- "Henry" – 2:36
- "Dirty Business" – 7:56
- "Glendale Train" – 3:00
- "Garden of Eden" – 4:32
- "All I Ever Wanted" – 4:37
- "Last Lonely Eagle" – 5:12
- "Louisiana Lady" – 3:03
These songs were recorded live at the Fillmore West and included in the 2003 CD reissue:
New Riders of the Purple Sage
- John Dawson – acoustic guitar, vocals
- David Nelson – electric guitar, acoustic guitar, mandolin, vocals
- Dave Torbert – bass, acoustic guitar, vocals
- Jerry Garcia – pedal steel guitar, banjo
- Spencer Dryden – drums, percussion
- "Major Releases" partial discography on NRPS official website nrps.net
- New Riders of the Purple Sage on deaddisc.com
- McNally, Dennis (2002). A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead. New York: Broadway Books. p. 384. ISBN 0-7679-1186-5.
- Jackson, Blair (1999). Garcia: An American Life. New York: Penguin Books. pp. 211–212. ISBN 0-14-029199-7.
- Scott, John W.; Dolgushkin, Mike; Nixon, Stu (1999). DeadBase XI: The Complete Guide to Grateful Dead Song Lists. Cornish, New Hampshire: DeadBase. p. 119. ISBN 1-877657-22-0,.