Mixed connective tissue disease
|Mixed connective tissue disease|
|Classification and external resources|
In medicine, mixed connective tissue disease (also known as Sharp's syndrome), commonly abbreviated as MCTD, is an autoimmune disease, in which the body's defense system attacks itself. It was characterized in 1972, and the term was introduced by Leroy in 1980.
MCTD combines features of scleroderma, myositis, systemic lupus erythematosus, and rheumatoid arthritis (with some sources adding polymyositis, dermatomyositis, and inclusion body myositis) and is thus considered an overlap syndrome.
MCTD commonly causes:
- joint pain/swelling,
- Raynaud phenomenon,
- Sjögren's syndrome,
- muscle inflammation, and
- sclerodactyly (thickening of the skin of the pads of the fingers)
The prognosis for MCTD tends to be better than other autoimmune diseases due to lack of renal disease and response to corticosteroids.
- Rapini, Ronald P.; Bolognia, Jean L.; Jorizzo, Joseph L. (2007). Dermatology: 2-Volume Set. St. Louis: Mosby. ISBN 1-4160-2999-0.
- Sharp GC, Irvin WS, Tan EM, Gould RG, Holman HR (February 1972). "Mixed connective tissue disease--an apparently distinct rheumatic disease syndrome associated with a specific antibody to an extractable nuclear antigen (ENA)". Am. J. Med. 52 (2): 148–59. doi:10.1016/0002-9343(72)90064-2. PMID 4621694.
- George C. Tsokos; Caroline Gordon; Josef S. Smolen (2007). Systemic lupus erythematosus: a companion to Rheumatology. Elsevier Health Sciences. pp. 429–. ISBN 978-0-323-04434-9. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- LeRoy EC, Maricq HR, Kahaleh MB (March 1980). "Undifferentiated connective tissue syndromes". Arthritis Rheum. 23 (3): 341–3. doi:10.1002/art.1780230312. PMID 7362686.
- John Stone (1 June 2009). Pearls & Myths in Rheumatology. Springer. pp. 169–. ISBN 978-1-84800-933-2. Retrieved 26 June 2010.
- "mixed connective tissue disease" at Dorland's Medical Dictionary
- "Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD): Autoimmune Disorders of Connective Tissue: Merck Manual Home Health Handbook".
- Venables PJ (2006). "Mixed connective tissue disease". Lupus 15 (3): 132–7. doi:10.1191/0961203306lu2283rr. PMID 16634365.
- Aringer M, Steiner G, Smolen JS (August 2005). "Does mixed connective tissue disease exist? Yes". Rheum. Dis. Clin. North Am. 31 (3): 411–20, v. doi:10.1016/j.rdc.2005.04.007. PMID 16084315.
- Information on MCTD from MedicineNet.com
- Mixed Connective Tissue Disease (MCTD): Autoimmune Rheumatic Disorders: Merck Manual Professional
|This article about a disease, disorder, or medical condition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|