Minsk National Airport
|Minsk National Airport
Нацыянальны аэрапорт Мінск
Национальный аэропорт Минск
|IATA: MSQ – ICAO: UMMS
|Elevation AMSL||204 m / 669 ft|
|Number of Passengers||1,285,428|
Minsk National Airport (IATA: MSQ, ICAO: UMMS), (Belarusian: Нацыянальны аэрапорт Мiнск, [natsɨjaˈnalʲnɨ aeraˈport mʲinsk]; Russian: Национальный аэропорт Минск), former name Minsk-2 (not to be confused with Minsk-1 Airport in Minsk downtown), is the main international airport in Belarus, located 42 km (26 mi) to the east of the capital Minsk, geographically lying in the territory of Smalyavichy Raion, but administratively being subordinated to Kastrychnitski District of Minsk.
The airport began operations in July 1982. The existing terminal was inaugurated on 28 March 1989 and replaced the old Minsk-1 Airport in the south of the city (now it's in the city's centre) as the capital's international airport.
The much smaller Minsk-1 Airport has had no passenger services at all since February 2011 and has been subsequently shut down, so that Minsk National Airport finally became the only airport of the city.
Airlines and destinations
|Turkish Airlines Cargo||Istanbul-Atatürk, Stockholm-Arlanda |
In 2009 airport served 1 010 695 passengers out of which 682,000 were served by the national airline Belavia. In 2010, that number rose to 1 285 423 passengers. The airport is capable of accommodating 5.8 million passengers a year.
Minsk international airport is linked to the capital by the M2 motorway. Bus, taxi and parking services are provided.
By public transport
The airport is served with marshrutka/Bus #300, departing from Centralny and Moskovskii bus stations, every 30 minutes. The journey takes from 1h 20min. to about 1h 40min. The route is starting at 04:15 until 01:00 daily. A taxi will cost about €20–€40 and the journey will take around 40 minutes. Private charter buses (4 to 7 passenger seats) are also available for about €100.
The airport is located 42 km (26 mi) east of Minsk, and is linked with the city with a toll-free (for non-BY registered cars) highway. Free short term parking is available in front of the terminal. Secure parking is also available for about €1/hour, €3/day.
Incidents and accidents
- On February 1, 1985 an aircraft Tu-134AK operated by Aeroflot with registration number SSSR-65910 en route to Leningrad Pulkovo airport crashed into the forest shortly after takeoff killing 55 out of 73 passengers and 3 out of 7 crew members on board.
- On September 6, 2003 an aircraft Tu-154 operated by an Iranian airline Kish Air hit trees in heavy fog as it was on approach en route from Tehran to Copenhagen. None of the 38 passengers and 4 crew members on board were injured.
- On October 26, 2009, S-Air Flight 9607, operated by BAe 125 RA-02807 crashed on approach to Minsk National Airport. All three crew and both passengers were killed.
- Инанец, Снежана (31 January 2013). ""Белавиа" будет летать в Самару и Кутаиси и обучит сотрудников корректному общению с пассажирами". TUT.BY. Retrieved 1 February 2013.
- "SUMMER - 2013 (31.03.2013 - 26.10.2013)". TIMETABLE. National airline «Belavia». Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Авиакомпания "Северсталь" полетит из Череповца в Минск". ATO.ru. 30 November 2012. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- Плохотниченко, Юрий (26 October 2012). "UTair меняет аэропорт в Минске". Travel.ru. Retrieved 26 October 2012.
- L, J (15 April 2013). "Vueling to Start Barcelona – Minsk Service from June to Sep 2013". Routesonline / Routes. Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Turkish Airlines Cargo Winter Schedule
- "Increase in the market of air-transportation." (in Russian).
- "About Airport / Minsk National Airport (official site).".
- Airport official page
- Airport taxi service
- Airport official website
- "ASN Aircraft accident Tupolev 134AK CCCP-65910 Nezhivka".
- "Kish Air aircraft strikes trees during landing".
- "Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 27 October 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Minsk National Airport|
- Official website
- Unofficial website
- Airport information for UMMS at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for UMMS at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- Current weather for UMMS at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for MSQ at Aviation Safety Network