Medical Council of India Screening Test
Medical Council of India Screening Test, also known as Foreign Medical Graduates Examination (FMGE), is a licensure examination conducted by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) in India. The test is one of the mandatory requirements for an Indian citizen who has a medical degree from a college outside India, to practice medicine in the country. The other requirement is a compulsory one-year internship at an Indian hospital attached to a medical college (teaching hospital) at MCI recognised hospital or even outside India but internship completion certificate has to counter attested by Indian mission embassy or consulate office tehre . The screening test was introduced in 2002 as a qualifying examination for Indian students obtaining their medical degrees from countries other than India, such as countries belonging to the former Soviet Union, Eastern European countries, China, Nepal, Philippines, and Caribbean countries. Indian doctors holding basic medical degrees from any country have to take the MCI screening test. The Medical School should have been listed in the WHO international directory of Medical Schools.
The legality of the test was challenged in the Indian courts and was upheld by the Supreme Court of India in 2009. This test has generated controversy with accusations that it is unfair and lacks transparency - for example, not allowing examinees to retain their question paper after examination, or not showing the exact marks or answer sheet upon appeal for failure. An appeal petition filed under RTI India to reveal the marks of an appealing student was not granted.
This Examination is held twice in year in Month of March and September on last Sunday of the month.
- "NBE to conduct screening test for medical graduates". Indian Express. 31 March 2002. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "No foreign degrees, says MCI". Times of India. 26 July 2007. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "Russian medical varsities beckon aspiring doctors from India". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 7 October 2007. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "MCI's response on screening test sought". The Hindu (Chennai, India). 25 February 2004. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- Bhatnagar, Rakesh (16 November 2004). "Have foreign degree? Clear screening test first". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- Mahapatra, Dhananjay (22 September 2009). "Foreign degree won't do to be a doc in India". Times of India. Retrieved 24 July 2010.
- "The Central Information Commission, Government of India".
- Official website for the test
- MCI Screening Test Orkut Community
- The National Board of Examinations
- Screening Test Question Paper with answers solved