Maryland Route 239
|Bushwood Wharf Road|
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||1.64 mi (2.64 km)|
|West end:||Dead end at the Wicomico River|
|MD 520 near Bushwood|
|East end:||MD 242 near Bushwood|
Maryland Route 239 (MD 239) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Bushwood Wharf Road, the state highway runs 1.64 miles (2.64 km) from a dead end at the Wicomico River east to MD 242 near Bushwood in western St. Mary's County. MD 239 was constructed in the late 1920s.
MD 239 begins at a dead end next to a boat ramp on Bushwood Cove of the Wicomico River at a spot historically known as Bushwood Wharf. The state highway heads east as a 18-foot (5.5 m) two-lane road past the historic home Ocean Hall. At Bushwood Road, MD 239 curves to the southeast, passing through farmland and crossing Whites Neck Creek before intersecting the northern terminus of MD 520 (Whites Neck Road). MD 239 continues east to its own terminus at MD 242 (Colton Point Road).
MD 239 was constructed as a 15-foot (4.6 m) gravel road starting in 1926. The state highway was built from MD 242 to Bushwood Road in 1927 and to the western terminus on the Wicomico River in 1928. MD 239 was widened and resurfaced with asphalt in 1956. The state highway has changed very little since then.
|0.00||0.00||Dead end at Wicomico River|
|1.33||2.14||MD 520 south (Whites Neck Road)|
|1.64||2.64||MD 242 (Colton Point Road) – Clements, Coltons Point|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Highway Information Services Division (2011). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- St. Mary's County (PDF)
- Google Inc. Google Maps – Maryland Route 239 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=MD-239%2FBushwood+Wharf+Rd&daddr=MD-239%2FBushwood+Wharf+Rd&hl=en&geocode=FcwqSAIdUAxs-w%3BFXgVSAIdxnds-w&mra=ls&sll=38.280909,-76.78158&sspn=0.007731,0.01929&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- Mackall, John N.; Darnall, R. Bennett; Brown, W.W. (January 1927). Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1924–1926 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. pp. 36, 65. Retrieved 2010-12-08.
- Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1927 ed.).
- Maryland Geological Survey. Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map) (1928 ed.).
- Maryland State Roads Commission. Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1956 ed.).