Haislip with Unicaja Málaga.
|No. 42 – Dongguan Leopards|
December 22, 1980 |
|Listed height||6 ft 10 in (2.08 m)|
|Listed weight||230 lb (100 kg)|
|High school||Marshall County
|NBA Draft||2002 / 1st round, (13th pick)|
|Selected by the Milwaukee Bucks|
|2009–2010||San Antonio Spurs|
|2011||Guangdong Southern Tigers|
Marcus Deshon Haislip (born December 22, 1980 in Lewisburg, Tennessee) is an American professional basketball player. Haislip attended Marshall County High School in Lewisburg. He rose to prominence while playing college basketball with the University of Tennessee from 1999 to 2002. After college, he played for several seasons in the NBA. He is listed at 6 ft 10 in (2.08 m) and 230 pounds (100 kg).
Haislip was selected by the Milwaukee Bucks as the 13th pick of the 2002 NBA Draft. During his rookie year Haislip was inserted into the starting line-up for the final nine games of the 2002–03 NBA season. When the playoffs started he was relegated to the bench. He remained a bench player with the Bucks for his first two seasons until being placed on waivers on November 4, 2004. He was signed by the Indiana Pacers during the 2004–05 season in order to fill the team's gap at power forward, due to the 15-game suspension of Jermaine O'Neal.
He started playing for Ülkerspor in the 2005–06 season. In March 2006, he left the team without authorization and returned to the United States due to "family issues", according to a teammate. He was selected to the TBL (Turkish Basketball League) All-Star Game and also participated in the Slam Dunk contest, which he won. He signed with Turkish Basketball League powerhouse Efes Pilsen in August 2006.
Haislip returned to the U.S. with Pilsen in October 2006, when the team played a pair of exhibition games against NBA teams. Pilsen played the Denver Nuggets in Denver on October 11, and played the Golden State Warriors in Oakland on October 13. Haislip scored 13 points and added 9 rebounds against the Warriors. On July 13, 2007, Haislip signed with the Spanish ACB club Unicaja Málaga.
In December 2010, Caja Laboral opened disciplinary proceedings against Haislip because he left the city without permission from the club. He was suspended without pay.
The contract was terminated by mutual consent in January 2011.
In March 2012, he signed with Champville SC and became the highest paid foreigner in the history of the Lebanese Basketball League. Later that year, he joined the Dongguan Leopards of the Chinese Basketball Association.
Awards and achievements
- Chosen in the 13th position in the 2002 NBA Draft.
- Pollinica Trophy MVP: 2007.
- "Marcus Haislip". NBA.com. 1980-12-22. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Noticia.jsp Efes Pilsen adds Haislip.
- "ESPN - Turkish power Efes Pilsen no match for Warriors - NBA". Sports.espn.go.com. 2006-10-13. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Unicaja lands Marcus Haislip - On-Court - Welcome to EUROLEAGUE BASKETBALL". Euroleague.net. 2007-07-13. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Spurs reach deal with power forward Haislip.[dead link]
- "San Antonio Waives Haislip". Realgm.com. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Spurs Waive Marcus Haislip". Nba.com. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Panathinaikos acquires Marcus Haislip". Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- "Caja Laboral tabs Marcus Haislip". Euroleague.net. 2010-09-17. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- Haislip disobeys Caja Laboral[dead link]
- "Caja Laboral, Haislip split up". Euroleague.net. Retrieved 2011-06-17.
- 广东有意09年第58顺位后卫莱斯特-哈德森？(Guangdong intends to acquire 2009 58th pick guard Lester Hudson?) (Chinese)
- Lebanese club Champville sign Marcus Haislip
- Marcus Haislip. Asia-Basket