Llangollen railway station
|Alongside the River Dee|
|Original company||Vale of Llangollen Railway|
|Managed by||Llangollen Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|2 June 1862||Opened|
|18 January 1965||Closed for passengers|
|April 1968||Closed for goods traffic|
|13 September 1975||The Llangollen Railway is formed and begins reconstruction westwards|
|1981||Llangollen Station re-opens officially|
|Stations on heritage railways in the United Kingdom|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|UK Railways portal|
Llangollen railway station in Denbighshire, Wales was formerly a station on the Ruabon to Barmouth line. It closed to passengers on Monday 18 January 1965 but the section between Ruabon and Llangollen Goods Yard remained opened for freight traffic until April 1968. Immediately afterwards the track was removed from the whole line between Ruabon and Barmouth.
The double track from Ruabon ended at Llangollen Goods Jn. and the track westwards was single. There were signal boxes at Llangollen and at Llangollen Goods Jc. The latter controlled access to the goods yard which today is a depot for the Llangollen Railway. The station was reopened in 1981 by the preserved Llangollen Railway as its eastern terminus and has been subsequently reopened in stages westward.
According to the Official Handbook of Stations the following classes of traffic were being handled at this station in 1956: G, P, F, L, H, C and there was a 3 ton crane. There was also a private siding at Pentrefelin (now a carriage depot) which was used by the White Sand & Silica Company.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Terminus||Great Western Railway
||Sun Bank Halt|
|Berwyn||Great Western Railway
- Butt (1995), page 146
- 1956, Official Handbook of Stations, British Transport Commission
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- RAILSCOT on Vale of Llangollen Railway
- RAILSCOT on Llangollen and Corwen Railway
- Llangollen station on navigable 1952 O. S. map
|This Wales railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|