List of universities in Namibia
- Polytechnic of Namibia (Polytechnic) - Windhoek
- University of Namibia (UNAM) - Windhoek
- International University of Management (IUM) - Windhoek
The four Colleges of Education are since 2010 part of the University of Namibia; They provide teacher education. The Polytechnic of Namibia is de jure not a university as no provision was made in the Act by which it was created (Act 33 / 1994) to carry this name. A motion for name change into Namibia's University of Science and Technology was rejected by cabinet in August 2010, but approved by the same body in December 2012. The transition to university is now on its way.
Vocational training institutions
There are few vocational training institutions in Namibia. Some of the artisan training is done by the Polytechnic of Namibia.
- Namibia Institute of Mining and Technology (NIMT) in Arandis trains professions such as boilermakers, electricians, fitters and diesel mechanics. It is funded by De Beers and subsidised by the Namibian Government.
- Namibian Maritime and Fisheries Institute (Namfi) in Walvis Bay, founded in 1996, provides vocational training for maritime industries.
- Fischer, Gereon. "The Namibian Educational System". Friedrich Ebert Foundation. p. 2. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- "Polytechnic of Namibia Act 33 of 1994" (pdf). Government of Namibia. Retrieved 23 Aug 2010.
- Philander, Frederick (23 Aug 2010). "Poly stays a Poly". New Era.
- Shipanga, Selma (21 Jan 2013). "Polytechnic prepares for transition to university". The Namibian.
- "Community social investment vehicles". De Beers Group. Retrieved 23 February 2011.
- Nakale, Albertina (18 March 2010). "Nigerians part of Namfi graduates". New Era (via diplomacynamibia.com).
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language