Khil Raj Regmi
|Khil Raj Regmi
|37th Prime Minister of Nepal|
14 March 2013
|President||Ram Baran Yadav|
|Preceded by||Baburam Bhattarai|
|Chief Justice of Nepal|
6 May 2011
|Appointed by||Ram Baran Yadav|
|Preceded by||Ram Prasad Shrestha|
31 May 1949 |
|Alma mater||Tribhuvan University|
Khil Raj Regmi (Nepali: खिलराज रेग्मी, OGDB, OTSP, born 31 May 1949) is the current Prime Minister of Nepal, in office since March 2013. He has served as Chief Justice of Nepal since May 2011, having been appointed by President Ram Baran Yadav after the expiry of the term of his predecessor, Chief Justice Ram Prasad Shrestha. In early 2013, the main political parties agreed to install Regmi as Prime Minister on a short-term basis, to oversee elections. He was sworn in on 14 March 2013 by President Yadav.
Regmi was born in Palpa, Nepal. He began his career as a Section Officer in Supreme Court of Nepal from 1972 to 1974. He then served as a district judge in various courts of the country from 1974 to 1985. He was then appointed as Deputy Registrar (Gazetted Class I) in the Supreme Court of Nepal till 1991. In the course, he has served as judge and chief judge in various appellate courts of Nepal. In 2003, he was appointed as a justice of the Supreme Court. On 6 May 2011, he was appointed as the Chief Justice.
Proposal for leading the electoral government
Regmi came into media attention when UCPN (Maoist) proposed him as leader of election government to hold fresh Constituent Assembly polls. On 19 February 2013, all four major political parties have agreed to constitute election government under Chief Justice leadership. According to the agreement between the political parties 11-member interim election government led by Chief Justice Regmi will be formed in order to hold elections by early June.
- "Regmi named new Chief Justice". The Kathmandu Post. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "CV Khil Raj Regmi". Supreme Court of Nepal. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "CJ Regmi assumes office". The Kathmandu Post. 6 May 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Hearing for new chief justice". The Kathmandu Post. 29 April 2011. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- "Parties finally seal deal on CJ-led govt". MyRepública. 19 February 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
- "Final deal on CJ govt near, say parties". eKantipur.com. 19 February 2013. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
Ram Prasad Shrestha
|Chief Justice of Nepal
|Prime Minister of Nepal