Keswick, South Norfolk
Keswick All Saints
Keswick shown within Norfolk
|Area||5.52 km2 (2.13 sq mi)|
|Population||431 (2001 Census)|
|- Density||78 /km2 (200 /sq mi)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Ambulance||East of England|
|EU Parliament||East of England|
Keswick is a village and civil parish in Norfolk, England. It is situated some 3 miles (4.8 km) to the south of the city of Norwich. It should not be mistaken for the coastal settlement of Keswick, near Bacton, which is also in Norfolk.
The civil parish has an area of 5.52 km2 (2.13 sq mi) and in the 2001 census had a population of 431 in 248 households. For the purposes of local government, the parish falls within the district of South Norfolk.
The church of Keswick All Saints is one of 124 existing round-tower churches in Norfolk. There was a small early church here, but it was demolished c 1598 to use the materials to repair Intwood’s round-tower church, when the two parishes were consolidated. The original east wall of the chancel still stands to the east of the existing church, and part of the tower could also be Saxon, although it was much repaired in 1893. At that time the short nave was added to the tower to make a mortuary chapel. In 1934 church services were authorised, but the apse was not added until some decades later.
Keswick Hall near All Saints was the representative manor and country house that served as a residence of the Gurney family. Between 1848 and 1981 it accommodated a teacher training college (which was then incorporated into the University of East Anglia) prior to being converted into apartments. Several members of the Gurneys of Keswick are buried in the churchyard of All Saints.
Gallery↑Jump back a section
- ^ Ordnance Survey (1999). OS Explorer Map 237 - Norwich. ISBN 0-319-21868-6.
- ^ Office for National Statistics & Norfolk County Council (2001). Census population and household counts for unparished urban areas and all parishes. Retrieved December 2, 2005.
- ^ The Round Tower Churches of Norfolk by Lyn Stilgoe, illustrated by Dorothy Shreeve, 2001, Canterbury Press, Norwich; ISBN 1-85311-448-0
Media related to Keswick, South Norfolk at Wikimedia Commons
- Information from Genuki Norfolk on Keswick
- Website with photos of Keswick All Saints and its interior
- Website with photos of Keswick All Saints
- Website dedicated to the former teacher training college at Keswick Hall
|This Norfolk location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|