|— Special ward —|
|葛飾区 · Katsushika City|
|• Mayor||Katsunori Aoki (since December 2009)|
|• Total||34.84 km2 (13.45 sq mi)|
|Population (June 1, 2012)|
|• Density||12,865.76/km2 (33,322.2/sq mi)|
|Time zone||Japan Standard Time (UTC+9)|
|Address||5-13-1 Tateishi, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo
The ward office (Katsushika city hall) is located at Tateishi.
Major rivers in Katsushika include the Edogawa, Arakawa and Ayasegawa. Nakagawa and Shin-nakagawa flows through the ward.
- Higashi Horikiri
- Higashi Kanamachi
- Higashi Mizumoto
- Higashi Shin-koiwa
- Higashi Tateishi
- Higashi Yotsugi
- Minami Mizumoto
- Mizumoto Koen
- Nishi Kameari
- Nishi Mizumoto
- Nishi Shin-koiwa
Katsushika District was originally a division of Musashi Province. When the province was divided and reconfigured, the district was partitioned between Kita Katsushika District in Saitama Prefecture, Higashi Katsushika District in Chiba Prefecture and the remainder was based in Tokyo Prefecture. Minami Katsushika District conformed today's Katsushika ward proper, plus Edogawa, Koto and Sumida wards.
On October 1, 1932, the former Minami Katsushika District of what was then known as Tokyo Prefecture, and its seven towns and villages, merged and became part of the old Tokyo City.
The special ward was founded on March 15, 1947.
Government and infrastructure
Colleges and universities
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Board of Education operates public high schools.
- Katsushika Commercial High School
- Katsushika Sogo High School
- Katsushikano High School
- Honjo Technical High School
- South Katsushika High School
- Nousan High School
- Katsushika School for the Blind
Elementary and junior high schools
Katsushika operates public elementary and junior high schools.
- Katsushika Aoto Junior High School
- Katsushika Okudo Junior High School
- JR East
- Keisei Electric Railway
- Hokuso Railway Hokuso Line: Keisei Takasago, Shin-Shibamata Stations
|This Section does not cite any references or sources. (September 2012)|
- Rumi Hiiragi, actress, voice actress (Spirited Away, Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea)
- Susumu Hirasawa, progressive-electronic musician
- Minako Honda, singer, musical actress
- Yui Horie, singer, voice actress
- Satomi Kobayashi, actress
- Kazunari Ninomiya, actor, musician, model, voice actor
- Miho Takagi, actress, essayist
- Youichi Takahashi, mangaka, creator of Captain Tsubasa
Notable works set in Katsushika
The long-running film series, the Otoko wa Tsurai yo series starring Kiyoshi Atsumi as Tora-san, takes place in Katsushika, as does the longest-running manga series in history, Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo. Other notable works set in Katsushika are the television series Kamen Rider Hibiki and the film Long Vacation.
- "Corporate Information." Takara Tomy. Retrieved on March 16, 2010.
- "Diet members tour execution chamber." The Japan Times. Thursday July 24, 2003. Retrieved on August 27, 2010.
- Lendon, Brad. "Japan reveals long-secretive execution process." CNN. August 27, 2010. Retrieved on August 27, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Katsushika, Tokyo|