Katsura Bunshi VI
Katsura Bunshi VI (六代 桂 文枝 Rokudai Katsura Bunshi ) is a popular TV presenter and rakugo artist in Japan. Bunshi Katsura VI is his stage name and his real name is Shizuya Kawamura (河村 靜也 Kawamura Shizuya ).
His former stage name was Katsura Sanshi (桂 三枝 Katsura Sanshi ). Sanshi received this name from his shishô (master) and one of the celebrated postwar Kamigata Rakugo greats, Katsura Bunshi V (五代目 桂 文枝 Godaime Katsura Bunshi , 1930-2005). Sanshi's "san" came from, originally, being Bunshi's third deshi (pupil) and "shi" came from the second half of shisho's stage name. Sanshi succeeded his shisho's stage name in 2012.
Sanshi was born in Higashi-ward, Sakai, Osaka on 16 July, 1943. His father died when he was a mere 11 month old baby, additionally he lost his mother after Typhoon Jane in 1950. Despite early unfortunate circumstances, his shrewd efforts in the entertainment business have brought him success.
Sanshi entered Kansai University (Faculty of commerce), after graduating from Ichioka Commercial High School in Osaka. He immediately gained fans at University with his storytelling and humor, though he had no professional careers. After university, Sanshi entered the artistic school or Katsura Bunshi V and later signed with agents at Yoshimoto Kogyo.
Sanshi worked as a master of ceremonies on:
Punch De Date
- An audience participation matching and marriage TV program produced by Kansai Telecasting Corporation and broadcast from 1973 to 1985 co-starring Kiyoshi Nishikawa.
- The opening catchphrase was : Hitome atta sono hi kara, Koi no hana saku koto mo aru, Mishiranu anata to mishiranu anata ni, Date o torimotsu Punch De Date!
- (Translation) : Even though they have no acquaintance with each other, the pairings will bring us shot-gun couples. Punch De Date makes amazing matches!
Shin Kon San Irassyai
- An audience participation program featuring honeymoon couples
Using Sanshi's original pitch and tone, the opening phrase 'Irasshai!' (welcome!) was his trademark.
Sanshi is on the board of the Kamigata Rakugo Kyoukai (Rakugo artists and performers' Guild in Kansai region), and the director of Yoshimoto Kogyo.
In the rakugo world Sanshi is known mostly for his "New rakugo" (In Japanese "創作落語"). He has been a guest professor at Kansai University.
Sanshi has many deshi apprentices and all of them have been given stage names that have the "san" (number 3, 三), for example, Katsura SANpo, Katsura SANpu, Katsura SANpatsu, and so on.
- Official website (Japanese)
|This article relating to Japanese comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|