Juan Manuel Corzo Román
|Juan Manuel Corzo Román|
|Senator Corzo in 2011.|
|President of the Senate of Colombia|
20 July 2011 – 20 July 2012
|Preceded by||Armando Benedetti Villaneda|
|Succeeded by||Roy Leonardo Barreras Montealegre|
|Senator of Colombia|
20 July 2002
|Member of the Chamber of Representatives of Colombia|
20 July 1998 – 20 July 2002
|Constituency||North Santander Department|
3 October 1961 |
Cúcuta, North Santander, Colombia
|Political party||Conservative (2006-present)|
|National Movement (1998-2006)|
|Spouse(s)||Isabel Carmenza Sanmiguel Maldonado|
|Children||Silvia Corzo Sanmiguel
Luis Javier Corzo Sanmiguel
|Alma mater||Saint Thomas Aquinas University (LLB, 1986)|
Juan Manuel Corzo Román (born 3 October 1961) is the current President of the Senate of Colombia. A Conservative party politician, he was first elected to Congress as Representative for the Department of North Santander in 1998. He ran and was elected Senator of Colombia in 2002, continuing to be re-elected in 2006 and 2010; he forms part of the 1st Commission of the Senate.
In 12 April 1999 Corzo was kidnapped along with the 39 other passengers of an Avianca Fokker flight between Bucaramanga and Cúcuta by a command of the National Liberation Army (ELN), a leftist terrorist guerrilla group, and was held captive for 17 months until his release in September 2000.
Juan Manuel was born on 3 October 1961 in Cúcuta to Luis Corzo Ramírez, a lawyer and notary, and his wife Lucila Román. He is married to Isabel Carmenza Sanmiguel Maldonado, a former Miss North Santander, and together have two children: Silvia and Luis Javier.
- "Juan Manuel Corzo Román". El Espectador (in Spanish). 2011-07-20. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "Juan Manuel Corzo Román: Biografía [Biography]" (in Spanish). Colombian Conservative Party. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "Juan Manuel Corzo, el conciliador" [Juan Manuel Corzo, the conciliator]. Semana (in Spanish). 2011-07-19. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "El ELN Liberó a Juan M Corzo" [The ELN Freed Juan M Corzo]. El Tiempo (in Spanish). 2000-09-13.
- "Optimismo y hermetismo en diálogo con ELN" [Optimism and hermetism in talks with ELN]. BBC Mundo. 2000-07-25. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
|This article about a Colombian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language