Grace Jane Wallace
Grace Jane Wallace, Lady Wallace, (died 1878) was a Scottish author.
She was the eldest daughter of John Stein of Edinburgh. She became, on 19 August 1824, the second wife of Sir Alexander Don, 6th Baronet of Newton Don, and the intimate friend of Sir Walter Scott. She had two children: Sir William Henry Don, 7th Baronet, the actor; and Alexina Harriet, who married Sir Frederick Acclom Milbank, bart., of Hart and Hartlepool.
In his Familiar Letters (ii.348) Sir Walter Scott writes to his son in 1825: "Mama and Anne are quite well; they are with me on a visit to Sir Alex. Don and his new lady, who is a very pleasant woman, and plays on the harp delightfully".
Lady Wallace long and actively pursued a career as a translator of German and Spanish works, among others:
- The Princess Ilse, 1855
- Clara; or Slave-life in Europe (by Hackländer), 1856
- Voices from the Greenwood, 1856
- The Old Monastery (by Hackländer), 1857
- Frederick the Great and his Merchant, 1859
- Schiller's Life and Works (by Palleske), 1859
- The Castle and the Cottage in Spain (from the Spanish of Caballero), 1861
- Joseph in the Snow (by Auerbach), 1861
- Mendelssohn's Letters from Italy and Switzerland, 1862
- Will-o'-the-Wisp, 1862
- Letters of Mendelssohn from 1833 to 1847, 1863
- Letters of Mozart, 1865
- Beethoven's Letters, 1790–1826, 1866
- Letters of Distinguished Musicians, 1867
- Reminiscences of Mendelssohn (by Elise Polko), 1868
- Alexandra Feodorowna (by Grimm), 1870
- A German Peasant Romance: Elsa and the Vulture (by Von Hillern), 1876
- Life of Mozart (by Nohl), 1877.
- This article incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Stronach, George (1899). "Wallace, Grace". In Sidney Lee. Dictionary of National Biography 59. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 98.. Endnotes
- Grove's Dict. of Music, vol. iv.; Allibone's Dict. of Engl. Lit.; Brit. Mus. Cat.; "Record of the 5th Dragoon Guards"; The Times, 7 Feb. 1867; Rogers's Book of Wallace (Grampian Club), i. 110–12; Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 1860.