Games of the Small States of Europe
The Games of the Small States of Europe (GSSE) is a biennial, multi-sport event, launched by the Republic of San Marino, organized by and featuring the National Olympic Committees of eight European small states since 1985. The Games are currently held at the beginning of June, and feature competition in nine Summer Olympic sports.
The 14th edition of the Games took place in June 2011 in Liechtenstein.
The games are organized by the members of the European Olympic Committees (EOC). From its initial forming at the 1984 Olympics through 2009 there were eight members; the group's ninth member was added in 2009. Members all have a population of less than one million people. Participating countries are:
(*) Montenegro became the ninth GSSE country on June 1, 2009
The Faroe Islands are seeking to also compete at the Games; however, unlike the other participants, the Faroes are neither a sovereign nation (they are an autonomous province of Denmark) nor are they an EOC member.
|1st||1985||23–26 May||San Marino, San Marino||222|
|3rd||1989||17–20 May||Nicosia, Cyprus||675|
|4th||1991||21–25 May||Andorra la Vella, Andorra||697|
|5th||1993||25–29 May||Valletta, Malta||690|
|6th||1995||29 May – 3 June||Luxembourg, Luxembourg||684|
|7th||1997||2–7 June||Reykjavík, Iceland||714|
|8th||1999||24–29 May||Vaduz, Liechtenstein||566|
|9th||2001||29 May – 2 June||San Marino, San Marino||658|
|10th||2003||2–7 June||Valletta, Malta||10||765|
|11th||2005||30 May – 4 June||Andorra la Vella, Andorra||10||793|
|13th||2009||1–6 June||Cyprus (3 cities)||12||843|
|14th||2011||30 May – 4 June||Liechtenstein (9 cities)||9||750|
|15th||2013||27 May – 1 June||Luxembourg, Luxembourg||12||?|
List of sporting disciplines
At the 2013 Games 11 disciplines were contested (with both men's and women's divisions):
All-time medal table
- History of the Games of the Small States of Europe, from the website of the 14th GSSE (www.liegames2011.li); retrieved 2010-12-02.
- Monaco to host 2007 GSSE published by SportsBusiness.com on 2003-06-06, retrieved 2010-12-02.
- Athletic Association of the Small States of Europe
- Monaco 2007
- Cyprus 2009
- Liechtenstein 2011
- European Olympic Committees: Games of the Small States of Europe
- Medal results for Monaco 2007
- Remo, Raimondi; Manlio Molinari, Eros Bologna (2003). "Statistics on GSSE Participation 1985–2003" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "Games of the Small States of Europe – History of athletics results". Athletics Weekly. Retrieved 2007-06-12.