Born in Toronto, Ontario, Bowen was educated at the University of Toronto (graduated 1964, Bachelor of Arts), the University of Waterloo (graduated 1975, Masters), and the University of Saskatchewan. She subsequently taught English in Saskatchewan, and was associate professor of English at First Nations University of Canada before retiring from teaching. She currently lives in Regina, Saskatchewan.
Bowen's mystery novels feature Joanne Kilbourn, a widowed mother, political analyst and university professor who finds herself occasionally involved in criminal investigations in various parts of Saskatchewan. Many have been adapted as Canadian television movies by Shaftesbury Films.
She has had several plays produced., including Dancing in Poppies, an adaptation of Beauty and the Beast, The Tree, and an adaptation of Peter Pan, all premiering at the Globe Theatre in Regina. Her radio play Dr. Dolittle was broadcast on CBC Radio in 2006. She wrote The World According to Charlie D., a radio play focusing on a radio talk show host, broadcast on CBC Radio in 2007. A follow-up episode about Charlie D. will air in August 2008 as part of the WorldPlay series, airing on public radio networks in six English speaking countries.
- 1919: The Love Letters of George and Adelaide (1986) Western Producer Prairie Books
- Deadly Appearances (1990) Douglas & McIntyre
- Murder at the Mendel (1991, published in the U.S.A. as Love and murder) Douglas & McIntyre
- The Wandering Soul Murders (1992) Douglas & McIntyre
- A Colder Kind of Death (1994, winner of the Arthur Ellis Award) McClelland & Stewart
- A Killing Spring (1996) McClelland & Stewart
- Verdict in Blood (1998) McClelland & Stewart
- Burying Ariel (2000) McClelland & Stewart
- The Glass Coffin (2002) McClelland & Stewart
- The Last Good Day (2004) McClelland & Stewart
- The White Bear (2005) McClelland & Stewart
- The Endless Knot (2006) McClelland & Stewart
- The Brutal Heart (2008) McClelland & Stewart
- The Nesting Dolls (2010) McClelland & Stewart
- Dancing in Poppies (1993)
- Beauty and the Beast (1993)
- The Tree (1994)
|This article about a Canadian writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language