Flag of Lincolnshire
|Adopted||24 October 2005|
A flag for Lincolnshire was unveiled at five separate ceremonies across the county on 24 October 2005. The flag was chosen in a popular vote organised by BBC Radio Lincolnshire along with Lincolnshire Life magazine. The winning entry, designed by Lincolnshire-born Michelle Andrews, a web producer at BBC Lincolnshire, was selected from a shortlist of six designs and allegedly attracted thousands of votes.
The design was the result of a two-year campaign sparked by a letter to County News from two readers keen to raise the county's profile. Fred and Pat Rickett, from Moulton, both keen caravanners, wrote to the paper in 2003, asking why Lincolnshire had no flag that they could fly on caravan rallies.
Their plea was taken up by BBC Radio Lincolnshire, which launched a campaign in partnership with Lincolnshire Life magazine that culminated in a popular vote. Their campaign was supported by many local businesses, who saw it as a good way to promote trade and tourism in Lincolnshire. However, in a Lincolnshire County Council poll that was concluded on 31 October 2005 it was asked: "Do you like the design of the new Lincolnshire Flag?" Of the 273 votes recorded, 34% said "Yes" and 66% said "No".
The flag features a red cross, edged in yellow and bearing a yellow fleur-de-lys, on a background of green and blue quarters; in the jargon of blazon, Quarterly Vert and Azure, on a Cross Gules fimbriated Or a Fleur-de-Lys of the last.
Yellow represents the crops grown in the county, as well as the nickname Yellowbellies given to people born and bred in Lincolnshire. Blue represents both the sea of the East coast and the wide skies of Lincolnshire, and green symbolises the rich lushness of fenland fields. The fleur de lys is a recognised symbol of the City of Lincoln.
The Pantone Colours for the flag are:- 
- Green 355
- Blue 286
- Yellow 109
- Red 186
- "UK Flag Registry – Lincolnshire". UK Flag Registry. London, United Kingdom: The Flag Institute. 2009-02-27. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Fly the Flag for Lincolnshire!". Lincoln, United Kingdom: BBC Lincolnshire. 09 2005. Retrieved 2009-04-09. Presents six candidate flag designs, with explanations of their symbolism.
- Detailed results of the "vote", which apparently permitted individuals to cast multiple votes and was not subject to independent scrutiny, have never been published.
- "Fantastic flag has been unfurled!". Lincoln, United Kingdom: BBC Lincolnshire. 2008-05-16. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Poll Results – Lincolnshire Flag". Lincolnshire Opinion Polls. Lincoln: Lincolnshire County Council,. 2005-10-31. Retrieved 2009-04-09. "Do you like the design of the new Lincolnshire Flag? Yes 33%, No 66%"
- "Yellowbellies prepare to celebrate Lincolnshire day". Lincolnshire Echo. Sep 23, 2011. Retrieved 2013-03-24. Newspaper report mentioning the adverse poll results
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language