Falconar SAL Mustang
|Status||In production (2012)|
|Number built||18 (2012)|
|Unit cost||US$30,276 (kit only, less engine, 2011)|
The Falconar SAL Mustang, also called the 2/3 Mustang and the SAL P-51D Mustang is a Canadian amateur-built aircraft, produced by Falconar Avia and introduced in 1969. The aircraft is a 2/3 scale replica of the North American P-51 Mustang and is supplied as a kit or as plans for amateur construction.
Design and development
The SAL Mustang features a cantilever low-wing, a single-seat, or optionally a two-seats-in-tandem, enclosed cockpit under a bubble canopy, retractable conventional landing gear, including a manually retractable tailwheel and a single engine in tractor configuration.
The aircraft is made from wood covered with fibreglass cloth and doped aircraft fabric. Some parts, like the belly air scoop are made from fibreglass. Its 24.8 ft (7.6 m) span wing has an area of 110 sq ft (10 m2) and mounts flaps that may be electrically or manually operated. The cockpit is 24 in (61 cm) wide and the bubble canopy is jettisonable. The aircraft's recommended engine power range is 200 to 350 hp (149 to 261 kW). Engines that have been used include the 200 hp (149 kW) Lycoming IO-360 horizontally opposed engine, the 200 hp (149 kW) Ranger L-440 inverted inline, the 180 to 235 hp (134 to 175 kW) Avia M 337 inverted inline, 230 hp (172 kW) Continental O-470 horizontally opposed, the 200 hp (149 kW) Ford 230 cu in (3.77 l) V6 automotive conversion, as well as other automotive V-6 or V-8 powerplants. Construction time from the supplied kit is estimated as 2500 hours.
The paper plans supplied total an area of 450 sq ft (42 m2), weigh 13 lb (5.9 kg) and include a construction manual. An alternative set of plans allows constructing a tandem two-seat version. The plans are very detailed and complete and one builder rated them as "the best I have seen on any homebuilt airplane".
In July 2012 the manufacturer indicated that 18 examples had been completed and flown in the 43 years that the plans and kits had been available.
Specifications (SAL Mustang)
- Crew: one
- Length: 22 ft 6 in (6.86 m)
- Wingspan: 24 ft 10 in (7.57 m)
- Wing area: 110 sq ft (10 m2)
- Empty weight: 1,420 lb (644 kg)
- Gross weight: 2,180 lb (989 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 36 U.S. gallons (140 L; 30 imp gal)
- Powerplant: 1 × Ranger L-440 inline six cylinder, air-cooled, four stroke aircraft engine, 200 hp (150 kW)
- Propellers: 2-bladed composite
- Cruise speed: 176 mph (153 kn; 283 km/h)
- Stall speed: 60 mph (52 kn; 97 km/h)
- Range: 502 mi (436 nmi; 808 km)
- Rate of climb: 1,850 ft/min (9.4 m/s)
- Wing loading: 19.8 lb/sq ft (97 kg/m²)
- Vandermeullen, Richard: 2012 Kit Aircraft Buyer's Guide, Kitplanes, Volume 28, Number 12, December 2011, page 52. Belvoir Publications. ISSN 0891-1851
- Purdy, Don: AeroCrafter - Homebuilt Aircraft Sourcebook, page 154. BAI Communications. ISBN 0-9636409-4-1
- Falconar Avia (1 July 2012). "SAL 2/3 "Mustang"". Retrieved 11 November 2012.