Everyone (Skins series 1)
|Episode no.||Series 1
|Directed by||Adam Smith|
|Written by||Bryan Elsley|
|Original air date||22 March 2007|
"Everyone" is the final episode of the first series of the British teen drama Skins. It was written by Bryan Elsley and directed by Adam Smith. It first aired on E4 in the UK on 22 March 2007. It is not told from the point of view of any characters but in a third-person narrative, a first for the show.
It's Anwar's 17th birthday. He receives a call from his best friend Maxxie, who wishes him a happy birthday. Anwar invites Maxxie to his party. Maxxie declines, however, saying he will only go if Anwar tells his very strict Muslim parents that Maxxie is gay. Anwar declines and begins his day by being told off by his father for missing prayer, and having to put up with his annoying uncle from suburban Birmingham.
In the meantime, Tony sadly watches his sister Effy head off to her new school, local independent school with fellow pupils such as shallow, unstable Abigail Stock for company. Chris is put-out, too, when his girlfriend (and psychology teacher), Angie's fiancé, an Australian weatherman named Merv, turns up. Chris is furious at Angie for her betrayal, and something strikes him about Merv but he can't quite put his finger on it.
Sid attempts writing a love letter to Cassie, but gives up and decides instead to go see her at the hospital, leaving the love letter on his desk. Putting on the first clothes he could find, Sid marches to the private psychiatric hospital in mis-matched clothes with odd shoes and socks and tells the nurse he "needs to speak to someone" and that he has "stuff going on", and finds himself committed against his will into a padded cell.
Michelle meets Effy and asks her why she doesn't ever speak and why Tony hurt her. Later that day, Chris breaks into Angie's house and is horrified to find countless photos of her and Merv, and an engagement ring. He pockets the ring, and watches a video of Merv doing the Australian weather forecast, realising from Merv's camp mannerisms that Merv is gay. Angie and Merv show up and Chris apologises for breaking into her house, but taunts Merv about his hidden sexuality.
Anwar's uncle is DJing for the birthday party; unimpressed with the tacky disco music, Anwar complains. His dad initially tells him his uncle should DJ because he has proper ear for music so that Anwar's English friends don't burn the place down, however, once out of earshot of Anwar's mother, he confesses that Anwar's uncle is an "arsehole" and notes grimly that while he's DJing, he can't grope women. Anwar then expects to get the best birthday present ever as a friend of his sisters' shows interest in him. He begins kissing her, but leaves to gossip to Maxxie, who is waiting outside. While begging Maxxie to come inside, Anwar's dad comes outside and the two boys confess to Maxxie being gay. Anwar's dad doesn't seem to mind and invites Maxxie inside regardless.
Tony and Effy rescue Sid from the hospital, bring clothes with them, and they take him to find Cassie, assuming she'll be at Anwar's birthday party. Sid arrives at the party at roughly the same time as Merv, who demands his ring back off Chris. Chris gives the ring to Angie, who gives it back to Merv, turning down his proposal, but also breaking up with Chris. A fight breaks out in the club between the English and the Australians.
Tony finds Cassie outside and gives her Sid's love letter. He then tries to call Michelle, who is crying in the bathroom. Struggling to find a good connection, Tony walks out onto the road and is hit by a bus, directly in front of Effy. Sid leaves the club to find Cassie and meets her by her favourite spot in the city, where she tried to commit suicide.
Arc significance and continuity
- Tony is hit by a bus, causing him to regress in the next season
- Effy witnessing Tony being hit by the bus is the main cause of her eventual depression which leads her to attempt suicide.
- Tony tells Michelle he loves her, which causes her to engage in self-destructive behaviour.
- Cassie leaves Bristol to move to Scotland.
- Angie leaves Chris, Merv and Bristol.
- Maxxie and Anwar reconcile when Anwar tells Istiak that Maxxie is gay.
- I've Been So Lonely for So Long by Frederick Knight
- You Can't Hurry Love by The Concretes
- The Owls Go by Architecture in Helsinki
- Sky Holds the Sun by The Bees
- Or Just Rearrange by Micah P. Hinson
- Happy Birthday by Altered Images
- Life is Life by Opus
- Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf
- It's All Over by The Broken Family Band
- Everything Changes by Take That
- I Don't Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith
- Give a Little Bit by Supertramp
- We Built This City by Starship
- Final Countdown by Europe
- Pow (Forward) by Lethal Bizzle
- True Love Ways by Buddy Holly
- Wild World by Mike Bailey, Nicholas Hoult, Siwan Morris and Joe Dempsie