Euros Childs performing at The Faversham, Leeds, 6 September 2008
|Birth name||Euros Childs|
|Born||April 16, 1975|
|Origin||Freshwater East, Wales|
|Genres||Rock, alternative, folk-pop|
|Years active||1991–2006 (Gorky's Zygotic Mynci)
2005–present (solo & other projects)
|Labels||National Elf, Wichita Recordings, V2 International|
|Associated acts||Gorky's Zygotic Mynci, Jonny, Cousins|
Euros Childs (//; Welsh: [ˈəirɔs]; born 1975) is a Welsh musician and songwriter, perhaps best known as the frontman for the band Gorky's Zygotic Mynci. His sister is the violinist Megan Childs. He was born in Freshwater East, Pembrokeshire, in Wales, and was educated at the Welsh-medium school Ysgol Gyfun Gymraeg Bro Myrddin in Carmarthenshire.
Childs was a founder of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci and stayed with the band throughout its lifetime, writing or co-writing most songs, handling most lead vocals, and playing keyboards, among other instruments.
His first solo music appeared in 2005, and his first single, "Donkey Island", was released on Wichita Recordings in November of that year. His band for the subsequent UK tour included Gorky's drummer Peter Richardson and fellow Welsh musician Alun Tan Lan, who also has occasionally opened for Childs.
Childs' first solo album, Chops, was released on Wichita in February 2006, quickly followed by another single from the album, "Costa Rita". By the middle of 2006, Gorky's Zygotic Mynci had announced their split, allowing Childs and Richard James to focus on their solo projects.
His fourth album, Cheer Gone, was released in October 2008. It was recorded over six days in Nashville with a band that included Richardson and Stephen Black, and had contributions from several Nashville musicians including Matt Swanson of Lambchop.
In 2009, Childs released his fifth album, Son of Euro Child, on his newly formed label National Elf. The album was available as a free download as well as on CD, and it began his current trend of releasing all his music through his official website. To date 6 albums and 5 singles have been available to download from his site on a "pay what you can" basis.
The album Ends was released on 28 November 2011. Its songs consist mostly of vocals and piano, with Megan Childs contributing violin on four of the 10 tracks.
In 2012, Childs established another duo, Cousins, this time with Race Horses' Meilyr Jones, who had previously appeared on Bore Da and The Miracle Inn. Their album First Cousins was released on 12 March 2012 on National Elf.
Summer Special was released on 20 August 2012, with a band consisting of Childs, Jones, Black, Stuart Kidd, and Megan Childs. The first single and video was "That's Better". The second single was "Be Be High" with the non-album B-side "The Surgeon".
- Chops (13 February 2006)
- Bore Da (5 March 2007)
- The Miracle Inn (27 August 2007)
- Cheer Gone (27 October 2008)
- Son of Euro Child (7 September 2009)
- Face Dripping (6 December 2010)
- Ends (28 November 2011)
- Summer Special (20 August 2012)
- Yn Fyw/Live 2005 (31 January 2011 - download only)
- Yn Fyw/Live 2007 (4 February 2013 - download only)
- "Donkey Island" (28 November 2005) UK #243
- "Costa Rita" (24 April 2006)
- "Horse Riding" (6 August 2007)
- "I Will Not Mind" / "Pontiago" (2011)
- "Beef Bridge" EP (August 2011)
- "Emyn O Wdig" (October 2011)
- "Spin That Girl Around" / "Just a Dream" (28 May 2012)
- "That's Better" (13 August 2012)
- "Be Be High" / "The Surgeon" (12 November 2012)
- Gorky's Zygotic Mynci's entire catalog
- Someday We Will Foresee Obstacles by Syd Matters (April 2005)
- The Unfairground by Kevin Ayers (10 September 2007)
- We Went Riding by Richard James (21 June 2010)
- Jonny by Jonny (12 April 2011)
- First Cousins by Cousins (16 March 2012)
- Pictures In The Morning by Richard James (23 April 2012)
- The single "Door to Tomorrow" by Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve (2012)
- At The Dance by Short & Curlies (3 June 2013)
- Jude Rogers (2007-08-24). "The year of the dragon : Where do you go after Gorky's Zygotic Mynci? Jude Rogers talks to former frontman Euros Childs about how glad he is to be Welsh". The Guardian. Retrieved 2008-12-11.
- Wichita Recordings (2007-10-27). "Out This Week on Wichita Recordings". Wichita Recordings. Retrieved 2012-03-09.
- Official website
- Best Fit News: Euros Childs set for new album, ‘Summer Special’, The Line Of Best Fit, 01.08.2012