Edward Joseph Young
Edward Joseph Young (November 29, 1907 – February 14, 1968) was a Reformed theologian and an Old Testament scholar at Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from 1936 until his death.
Young received an A.B. from Stanford University in 1929, a Th.B. (the equivalent of an M.Div.) and a Th.M. from Westminster Theological Seminary in 1935, and a Ph.D. from Dropsie College in 1943. He was an ordained minister in the Presbyterian Church (USA) from 1935-36 and then in the Orthodox Presbyterian Church until his death.
Allan Harman notes three things about Young's career. He "held unswervingly to a high view of Scripture," he was "deeply read in the literature of his chosen field" and he "dedicated his outstanding gifts to the service of Christ's church and kingdom."
Young's commentary on the book of Isaiah is one of the finest available in the annals of conservative theological literature. A H.H. Rowley noted, "Professor Young is a scholar who is widely acquainted with views he does not share, and his work is a vade mecum of views that he accepts and rejects; few will not learn from it or fail to find it valuable for consultation." The Evangelical Quarterly commented, "The special value of the book lies in the fullness and depth of the exposition and the erudition of the footnotes...These alone justify its purchase by the layman, the minister, and the student." The book was last published by Eerdman's publishing company in three soft cover volumes.
- Old Testament Introduction (1949)
- The Prophecy of Daniel (Bible commentary, 1949)
- My Servants the Prophets (1952)
- The Authority of the Old Testament (1953)
- Thy Word is Truth (1957)
- The Book of Isaiah (Bible commentary, 1965-1972)
- Longman III, Tremper (2007). "Young, E(dward) J(oseph)". In Donald K. McKim. Dictionary of major biblical interpreters (2nd ed.). Downers Grove, Ill.: IVP Academic. pp. 1068–1072. ISBN 9780830829279.
- Biography at Westminster Theological Seminary
- Allan Harman, "Edward Joseph Young," in Walter A. Elwell and J. D. Weaver (eds.) Bible Interpreters of the 20th Century: A Selection of Evangelical Voices. Grand Rapids, Baker, 1999.
|This Christianity-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Calvinism-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language