Dr. Denis Alexander is the director of the Faraday Institute for Science and Religion at St Edmund's College, Cambridge, a molecular biologist and an author on science and religion. He is also an editor of Science and Christian Belief. He is an evangelical Christian.
He spent 15 years in various university departments and laboratories outside the United Kingdom, establishing the National Unit of Human Genetics while an Associate Professor of Biochemistry American University of Beirut, Lebanon.
He worked at the Imperial Cancer Research Laboratories in London and subsequently headed the Molecular Immunology Programme and the Laboratory of Lymphocyte Signalling and Development at the Babraham Institute, Cambridge.
Science and religion
Alexander has written on the subject of religion and science since at least 1972, when his book 'Beyond Science' was reviewed by Hugh Montefiore, then Bishop of Kingston upon Thames in the New Scientist, in which Montefiore noted that Alexander never came out in that book explicitly in support of evolution.
Alexander has stated that he believes "that the Bible is the inspired Word of God from cover to cover" and that this position is consistent with his support for evolution, writing that intelligent design is not science and should not be taught as such.
He says the idea that evolution is an atheistic theory is misguided and has arisen "because the ideas and scope of evolutionary theory are frequently misunderstood by Christian non-biologists, whereas atheists on their part often have little knowledge of the biblical doctrine of creation" while "many people have tried to hijack the theory of evolution to support all kinds of ideologies. Evolution has been used to support racism, communism, capitalism and other ideologies, many of them mutually incompatible" He argues that "attacks by well-meaning Christians on evolution cause a serious hindrance to evangelism within the scientific community and, as a matter of fact, promote rather than counteract atheism."
Alexander responded to Stephen Hawking's The Grand Design by stating that "the 'god' that Stephen Hawking is trying to debunk is not the creator God of the Abrahamic faiths who really is the ultimate explanation for why there is something rather than nothing", adding that "Hawking's god is a god-of-the-gaps used to plug present gaps in our scientific knowledge." "Science provides us with a wonderful narrative as to how [existence] may happen, but theology addresses the meaning of the narrative".
Alexander has been quoted in such books as Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life by theologian Alister McGrath. He also makes an appearance in the documentary film The Trouble with Atheism, where he discusses his views on science and religion.
- Beyond Science (1972), Lion Publishing
- Rebuilding the Matrix - Science and Faith in the 21st Century (2001), Lion Publishing, Oxford, UK, ISBN 978-0-7459-1244-8.
- Protein phosphatases - Topics in Current Genetics 5 (2003), Springer, ISBN 978-3-540-20560-9 - Joaquin Arino and Denis Alexander (editors)
- Beyond Belief: Science, Faith and Ethical Challenges with Bob White (2004), Lion Publishing, Oxford, UK, ISBN 978-0-7459-5141-6.
- Can We Be Sure About Anything?: Science, Faith and Postmodernism (2005), Apollos, Nottingham, UK, ISBN 978-1-84474-076-5.
- Science, Faith, and Ethics: Grid or Gridlock (2006), Denis Alexander & Robert S. White, Hendrickson, ISBN 978-1-59856-018-3
- Creation and Evolution: Do We Have to Choose? (2008), Monarch, Oxford, UK, ISBN 978-1-85424-746-9.
- Rescuing Darwin - God and Evolution in Britain Today (2009), Theos Nick Spencer and Denis Alexander ISBN 978-0-9554453-5-4
- Biology and Ideology from Descartes to Dawkins (2010), University of Chicago Press, ISBN 978-0-226-60841-9 - Denis R. Alexander and Ronald L. Numbers (editors)
- The Language of Genetics – an Introduction (2011), Templeton Foundation Press
- Closer to Truth videos by Denis Alexander
- Premier Radio Stephen Law debates Denis Alexander on "God & Science" on Premier Christian Radio
- Blog post by The Atheist Missionary regarding discussion between Denis Alexander and Stephen Law on Premier Christian Radio's Unbelievable?
- Dr Denis Alexander, Faraday Institute for Science and Religion.
- Bowder, Bill, "Cambridge science don ticks off the teen rebels," Church Times, March 7, 2008, accessed November 3, 2009
- "Why some evangelicals believe in evolution (Bulldog for October) | Denis Alexander". E-n.org.uk. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- New Scientist - Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. 1972-10-19. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- Creation or Evolution: Do We Have to Choose? p. 11
- Logged in as click here to log out. "Intelligent design is not science | Denis Alexander | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk". Guardian. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- "Alexander, Denis | Participants | Profile". Closer to Truth. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- By Richard Allen Greene, CNN (2010-09-02). "Stephen Hawking: God didn't create universe". CNN.com. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- Dawkins' God: Genes, Memes, and the Meaning of Life - Alister McGrath
- "The Trouble with Atheism". Bede. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "News | The Faraday Institute for Science and Religion". St-edmunds.cam.ac.uk. Retrieved 2010-12-12.