|Full name||Daniel Menzel|
|Date of birth||13 September 1991|
|Original team||Central District|
|Draft||17th overall, 2009
|Height/Weight||188 cm / 79 kg|
1 Playing statistics to end of 2011 season .
Originally from Golden Grove, South Australia, Menzel played for the Central District Football Club in the SANFL, as well as representing South Australia in the 2009 AFL National Under 18 Championships, prior to being drafted by the Geelong Football Club with their first selection, and the 17th overall draft pick, in the 2009 AFL Draft.
Playing for Geelong's VFL team for the majority of 2010, Menzel was awarded the Damien Drum Medal for a best-on-ground performance against Werribee. His AFL-level debut came in Round 20 of the 2010 AFL season in Geelong's 101-point win against the Western Bulldogs, with Menzel scoring a goal. In his follow-up match in the next round, Menzel scored three goals from three kicks, with Geelong defeating Carlton.
As a result of a four-goal performance against St Kilda in round 13 of the 2011 AFL season, Menzel received that round's nomination for the 2011 AFL Rising Star award. After performing well during the 2011 season, Menzel quickly become a crowd favourite with the Geelong supporters, drawing comparisons with star forward Steve Johnson.
In the first round of finals in 2011, Menzel ruptured his anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee. He had a knee reconstruction, and returned to VFL football in June 2012, but ruptured the ACL in his left knee in his return game, ruling him out for the rest of the season. He re-injured the knee in offseason training in December 2012, and opted to undergo LARS reconstruction surgery, in which the natural ligament is augmented with a synthetic ligament. He returned to VFL football in April 2013, but re-injured the LARS-reconstructed ligament in his second match, requiring another reconstruction which will rule him out of playing for the rest of 2013. Menzel is believed to be the first AFL footballer to undergo four knee reconstructions in his career.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Pierik, Jon (14 August 2010). "Blow for Cats with Corey out". The Age. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Green, Bradley (14 June 2010). "VFL: Young Cats reveal a promising future". Geelong Advertiser. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- "Cats thrash Bulldogs". Yahoo!7. 14 August 2010. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Sutton, Ben (20 August 2010). "Cats do job on Blues". sportal.com.au. Retrieved 8 July 2011.
- Holmesby, Luke (21 June 2011). "The Cat-alyst". AFL.com.au. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Holmesby, Luke (10 September 2011). "Tom Hawkins proves his place in Cats' best 22". Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Wade, Nick (2 June 2012). "Daniel Menzel does knee in first game back". Geelong Advertiser. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- Wade, Nick; Timms, Daryl (22 April 2013). "Scans confirm Geelong forward Daniel Menzel will need a fourth knee reconstruction". Herald Sun. Retrieved 21 May 2013.
- "Daniel Menzel statistics". AFL Tables. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- "Daniel Menzel of the Geelong Cats Career AFL Stats". footywire.com. Retrieved 19 September 2012.
- Daniel Menzel's profile on the official website of the Geelong Football Club
- Daniel Menzel's statistics from AFL Tables
|Geelong F.C. Best Young Player