|The Most Reverend
|Archbishop of Porto Alegre|
|Enthroned||April 12, 2000|
|Other posts||Bishop of São João da Boa Vista (1991-2000)|
|Ordination||December 23, 1961|
|Consecration||March 15, 1991|
September 7, 1936 |
Nova Petrópolis, Rio Grande do Sul
Dadeus Grings (born 7 September 1936) is a Roman Catholic bishop who is the current ordinary of the archdiocese of Porto Alegre. He also serves as the chancellor of the Catholic University of Rio Grande do Sul.
Grings was ordained a priest on 23 December 1961. He was appointed bishop of São João da Boa Vista on 23 January 1991. He was appointed as Coadjutor Archbishop of Porto Alegre on 12 April 2000, and succeeded to the position of Archbishop on acceptance of the resignation of his predecessor on 7 February 2001.
The archbishop is the author of 27 books.
Remarks on 4 May 2010
International ontroversy was stirred up in connection with remarks by Grings on 4 May 2010 when speaking of accusations of paedophilia against priests. He said that society as a whole is paedophile and that sexual abuse of children and adolescents is more common among doctors, teachers and businessmen than among priests. The problem, he said, is that today's society is paedophile, with the result that people easily fall into it, and the fact that it is being denounced is a good sign. In his view, all forms of sexuality were beling banalized, and the acquisition of legal rights by homosexuals was likely to lead to recognition of the rights of paedophiles. Grings stated clearly that sexual abuse of children and adolescents is a crime and should be punished, but he admitted that, while the Church does adopt internal measures against the guilty, it finds it difficult to denounce its own members to the police. It is unjust, he said, to present paedophilia as a matter that concerns only the Church, when in Germany it had been found that only 0.2% of child abuse was committed by priests. He also said that homosexuality is innate in few cases and generally results from failure to overcome an adolescent experimental stage. A spokesman for the Bishops Conference distanced himself from the Archbishop's remark that society as a whole is paedophile, while English-language reports misinterpreted his admission that the Church finds it difficult to denounce priests to the police as if he had said that "internal punishment of priests guilty of abuse was sufficient and that police should not be involved".
|Bishop of São João da Boa Vista
23 January 1991 –12 April 2000
David Dias Pimentel
Altamiro Rossato CSSR
|Archbishop of Porto Alegre
7 February 2001 –present
- Lógica Formal (1973)
- Nosso Deus Pai, Filho e Espírito Santo (1974)
- A Força de Deus na fraqueza do homem (1975)
- Vitalidade do Cristianismo no século XX (1978)
- Solidarismo, a sociedade do futuro (1978)
- O Deus Brasileiro (1979)
- Para que viver? (1981)
- Dialética da Vida Consagrada: História Dialética do Cristianismo (1981)
- Religião e Cristianismo (1982, collaborative work)
- Feliz para sempre (1984)
- Conhecer a Verdade (1985)
- A Ortopráxis da Igreja (1985)
- A Ortodoxia Cristã (1986)
- A descoberta científica de Deus (1990)
- O homem diante do universo (1995)
- Deus Pai (1999)
- Creio na Santíssima Trindade: Jubileu do ano 2000 (1999)
- Casamento, amor e sexo (2000)
- A Boa Nova Bíblica - ontem, hoje e sempre (2001)
- Mateus, o Evangelista da Felicidade (2002)
- A vida humana plena (2003)
- Sociedade do Futuro: entre o limite e a esperança (2003)
- A Evangelização da Cidade: O Apostolado Urbano (2004)
- Meu colóquio com Deus I: A teologia dogmática orante (2004)
- Meu colóquio com Deus II: A teologia moral rezada (2006)
- Meu colóquio com Deus III: Liturgia (2008)
- Promoção Humana (2009)
- O Imparcial (São Paulo): "Arcebispo dom Dadeus Grings afirma: 'A sociedade atual é pedófila'"
- The Telegraph (London): "Brazilian archbishop: all teenagers are 'spontaneously homosexual'"