September 21, 1969 |
Thompson, MB, CAN
|Height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|Played for||Quebec Nordiques
|NHL Draft||3rd overall, 1988
Leschyshyn was drafted by the Quebec Nordiques in the first round (third overall) in the 1988 NHL Entry Draft. He played for the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche franchise for parts of 9 seasons. He won a Stanley Cup in 1996 with Colorado. The season after winning the Stanley Cup, Curtis was traded to the Washington Capitals with Chris Simon in exchange for Keith Jones and a 1st round pick, then after just 2 games, he was traded to the Hartford Whalers for Andrei Nikolishin on November 9, 1996.
At the end of that season, the Whalers became the Carolina Hurricanes, for whom Leschyshyn played for another seasons before he was claimed in the expansion draft by the Minnesota Wild on June 23, 2000. Leschyshyn started the 2000–01 season with the Wild before he was traded to the Ottawa Senators for a 3rd round pick (Stéphane Veilleux) on March 13, 2001. After three more seasons as a fixture on the Senators defense Leschyshyn signed with Colorado (his adopted home) after the 2004 NHL Lockout on August 17, 2005. His return to the Avalanche was short lived when Curtis retired before the 2005–06 season started on October 3, 2005.
In retirement he was a member of the Avalanche radio broadcast team providing color commentary. However he stepped down prior to the 2007–08 season to spend more time with his family. Leschyshyn and his wife, Laura, reside in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan with their three children, son Jake and daughters Anna and Kate. Curtis is an assistant coach with the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League.
- "Say it aint so:Colorado Avalanche". CNNSI.com. 2001-05-09. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "Leschyshyn returns to Avalanche". avalanche.nhl.com. 2005-08-17. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "Curtis Leschyshyn retires". avalanche.nhl.com. 2005-08-24. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Frei, Terry (2007-09-18). "Avs' demote number 1 pick Stewart". denverpost.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- Dater, Adrian (2007-09-19). "Sakic, Avs welcome Kings tonight". denverpost.com. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
|Quebec Nordiques first round draft pick