||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2011)|
Corey Sutherland Lewis (also known as Rey or The Rey) is an American comic book creator. He is primarily known as the creator of Sharknife, published by Oni Press. Other works include PENG for Oni, and providing back-up comic strips for the Darkstalkers and Street Fighter comics for UDON. Rey also had a brief stint as the artist and writer of the Rival Schools comic book. Recently he participed with a short story in Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Lost Stories comic published by Dark Horse Comics.
Lewis' work is notable for its combination of global youth culture influences, including martial arts, video games, American comic books and cartoons, Japanese anime and manga, graffiti, hip-hop, and indie rock. His work has been compared to that of Bryan Lee O'Malley, and the two artists are friends. Lewis' art tends to be stylized and make use of sound effects. So far he has worked almost exclusively in the action genre. Lewis cites Paul Pope and Masashi Kishimoto (creator of Naruto) as his primary comics influences.
- Sharknife Series
- PENG! one-shot (2005)
- Rival Schools Issues #1 & #2 (2006)
- Marvel Strange Tales MAX "Longshot!" Issue #3 (2009)
- Koja-Oh: The Story of Koja in Punchthroat Anthology (2003)
- Cheap Shots / Street Fighter Mini / Darkstalkers Mini (2004–2005)
- PINAPL in Popgun (2007)
- Strange Tales MAX #3 - Longshot (2010)
- X-Men: Nation X - Cannonball (2010)
- Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Lost Stories (2011)
- Rival Schools Issues #3 & #4 (2007)
- Dead In the Now (Zuda Comics) (2007 and 2008)
- Seedless (2008–2010)
- Apparel designs for punk band MXPX.
- Concept illustrations for toy company Hasbro, including Transformers box art.
- Concept designs for properties such as Castlevania (mostly un-used).
- Illustrations for "Mobisode" animation featured on the Tony Jaa film, The Protector (Tom-Yum-Goong) entitled "8-Limbs".
- Wrote a short story in Vol 5. Issue 3 (2009) of Marvel's Strange Tales entitled "The Fortune Full X-Men"
- Rhoades, Shirrel (2008). A complete history of American comic books. Peter Lang. pp. 243–. ISBN 978-1-4331-0107-6. Retrieved 25 July 2011.
- "Sharknife DoubleZ Complete". Oni Press. Retrieved 2011-10-19. via REYYY Blog
- "Avatar: The Last Airbender — The Art of the Animated Series :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics". Dark Horse Comics. Retrieved 2011-10-19.
- Reyyy.com - Personal website.
- Reyyy.lj - Livejournal, blog and relevant news.
- Myspace Page - Rey's Myspace page.
|This profile of an American comics creator, writer, or artist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This profile of a webcomics creator is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|