Condamine Power Station
|This article is outdated. (May 2010)|
|Condamine Power Station|
|Commission date||June 2010|
|Power station information|
|Primary fuel||Coal seam gas|
|Power generation information|
|Maximum capacity||140 MW|
Condamine Power Station is a 140 MW combined cycle power station near Miles on the western Darling Downs in Queensland, Australia. The station is located 8 kilometres (5.0 mi) east of Miles on the south side of the Warrego Highway. The Condamine Power Station is owned by QGC Limited, a subsidiary of BG Group. It has been claimed to be the world’s first combined-cycle power station entirely fired by untreated coal seam gas and Australia's first steam turbine condenser cooled by coal seam methane waste water. However, the Townsville Power Station at Yabulu, which was converted from a peak load power station to burn only coal seam gas in a combined cycle configuration, was commissioned much earlier, in February 2005.
Construction began on 19 October 2007. It was completed in mid-2010. The EPC contractor was Austrian Energy and Environment with the gas turbines supplied by Siemens. Parsons Brinckerhoff were the owner's engineer for construction. The gas turbine with dispatchable unit ID (DUID) "CPSA" began bidding into the National Electricity Market on 1 June 2009, with the first generation made available to the market on 10 July 2009. The Columboola Switching Station, which connects Condamine Power Station with the Chinchilla-to-Roma 132-kilovolt transmission line, was completed in October 2008.
The power station has installed capacity of 140 MW. Electricity is generated by two gas turbines and one steam turbine from coal seam gas. The two gas turbines are Siemens SGT-800 models and the steam turbine is a Siemens SST-400. According to the NEMMCO Applicants list, the registered capacity of the gas turbine is 87.4 MW (2 x 43.7 MW) and the registered capacity of the steam turbine is 57.1 MW.
The gas reserves are extracted from the Berwyndale South Gasfield. Building the plant directly on top of the gas source will provide some of the cheapest gas-fired electricity to the National Electricity Market.
- QGC Annual Report. QGC. 17 October 2008. Accessed on 4 January 2009.
- NEMWeb AEMO. 10 July 2009.
- QGC Quarterly Report. QGC. 31 October 2008. Accessed on 4 January 2009.
- AGL Fact Sheet AGL. Accessed on 9 March 2009.
- ASX Announcement by AGL. AGL.
- AGL Half Yearly Report. AGL. Accessed on 9 March 2009.
- Coal company to build western Downs power station. ABC News. 27 April 2007. Accessed on 17 September 2007.
- Australian Company Profile. Austrian Energy & Environment Australia. Accessed on 4 January 2009.
- Siemens SST-400 Siemens.
- Siemens SGT-800 Siemens.
- NEMMCO Registration and Exemptions Lists. NEMMCO. 23 December 2008. Accessed on 4 January 2009.
- QGC aims to expand gas field development. The Sydney Morning Herald. 4 August 2006. Accessed on 17 September 2007.