Colby High School
|Colby High School|
|1890 South Franklin Avenue
Colby, Kansas, 67701
|Principal||Larry Gabel, Rob Ross, Diana Wieland|
|Color(s)||Black and orange|
|Rival||Goodland High School|
|Website||Colby High School|
Colby High School is a public school in Colby, Kansas. It is located on 1890 S. Franklin Avenue. It enrolls approximately 400 students every year. The current principals are Larry Gabel, Rob Ross, and Diana Wieland, who split the administrative position at the start of the 2010-2011 school year.
Colby High School was founded in 1890. As the community grew, so did the school, and eventually surrounding smaller schools in Levant, Kansas, and Gem, Kansas, were closed so students could attend classes at Colby. Until 1995, Colby High School was located on Third Street, but the need for a larger building was recognized, and thus emerged the building that accommodates the students and teachers now.
- Fred Morrison, Rhodes Scholar, University of Kansas, Oxford University, Princeton University, University of Chicago, University of Minnesota Law School, Fulbright Professor, graduated in 1957.
- Samuel Ramey, American Opera singer, graduated in 1960.
- Mark Schultz, musician, graduated in 1989.
- Nelson Toburen, former professional football player for the Green Bay Packers, graduated in 1957.
- Laura Lynn Watters, Miss Kansas (1983), graduated in 1979.