Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2
|Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2|
|Directed by||Cody Cameron
|Produced by||Kirk Bodyfelt|
|Screenplay by||John Francis Daley
|Based on||Characters created by
Neil Patrick Harris
|Music by||Mark Mothersbaugh|
|Editing by||Stan Webb|
|Studio||Sony Pictures Animation|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Sony Pictures Animation. The film is the sequel to the 2009 film Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, which was loosely based on Judi and Ron Barrett's book of the same name. It is being directed by Cody Cameron and Kris Pearn, produced by Kirk Bodyfelt, and executive produced by the directors of the first film, Phil Lord and Chris Miller. Distributed by Columbia Pictures, the film is scheduled to be released on September 25, 2013.
The screenplay was written by John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein and Erica Rivinoja, and it is based on an original idea, and not on Pickles to Pittsburgh, Barrett's follow-up book.Cloudy 2 will continue right after the first film, where a food making satellite gets out of control, but its creator, young inventor Flint, and his friends, eventually manage to stop it. In the sequel, Flint and his friends are forced to leave their home town, but when the food machine awakens, this time producing living food beasts, they must return to save the world.
Most of the main cast will reprise their roles: Bill Hader as Flint Lockwood, Anna Faris as Sam Sparks, James Caan as Tim Lockwood, Andy Samberg as Brent McHale, Neil Patrick Harris as Steve, and Benjamin Bratt as Manny. New cast includes Terry Crews, who replaced Mr. T as Officer Earl; Will Forte, who voiced Joseph Towne in the first film, is set to voice Chester V; and Kristen Schaal as orangutan Barb.
After the disastrous food storm in the first film caused by his machine, Flint Lockwood and his friends are forced to leave the town of Swallow Falls. Flint accepts the invitation from his idol Chester V to join The Live Corp Company, which has been tasked to clean the island, and where the best inventors in the world create technologies for the betterment of mankind and planet Earth. Upon arriving back at Swallow Falls, Flint discovers that his machine still operates and now creates mutant food beasts like living pickles, hungry tacodiles, shrimpanzees, and apple pie-thons. It is up to Flint and his friends to put a stop to the machine once and for all before this new form of foody life breaks free from the island and invades the planet.
- Bill Hader as Flint Lockwood, an inventor.
- Anna Faris as Samantha "Sam" Sparks, a weather intern from New York City and Flint's love interest.
- James Caan as Tim Lockwood, Flint's technophobic single-father and a widower.
- Andy Samberg as Brent McHale, an infamous/former celebrity mascot of Baby Brent's Sardines, now known as Chicken Brent.
- Neil Patrick Harris as Steve the Monkey, Flint's pet Vervet monkey who communicates using a Speak and Spell monkey thought translator Flint invented but, has a limited vocabulary and mostly says his name a few random things, and saying he's hungry. 
- Benjamin Bratt as Manny, Sam's Guatemalan cameraman and a former doctor, co-pilot, and comedian.
- Terry Crews as Officer Earl Devereaux, the town's athletic cop.
- Will Forte as Chester V, a world-famous super-inventor and the head of the Live Corp.
- Kristen Schaal as Barb, Chester V's talking and lipstick wearing orangutan with a human brain.
The first news of the sequel came out in April 2010, when website Io9 reported that the original directors, Phil Lord and Chris Miller, won't return for the sequel. In December 2011, it was reported that Cody Cameron, the story artist on the first film, and Kris Pearn, the head of story on the first, are set to direct the sequel, with Lord and Miller serving as exec-producers. John Francis Daley, Jonathan Goldstein and Erica Rivinoja wrote the screenplay, which is based on an original idea, and not on Pickles to Pittsburgh, Barrett's follow-up book. In February 2012, it was announced that the sequel would be titled Cloudy 2: Revenge of the Leftovers, but has since been retitled Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2. The film was originally scheduled for release on December 20, 2013, then pushed to February 7, 2014, before moving up to September 27, 2013. The music will again be composed by Mark Mothersbaugh.
Bill Hader, Anna Faris, James Caan, Andy Samberg, Neil Patrick Harris and Benjamin Bratt are set to reprise their roles. The role of Earl, the town cop, will be taken over by Terry Crews, as Mr. T declined to return.Kristen Schaal is joining the cast to voice Barb, a talking and lipstick wearing orangutan with a human brain. Will Forte, who voiced Joseph Towne in the first film, is set to voice Chester V, a world-famous super-inventor, who commands Barb, and is the head of the Live Corp Company. On January 17, 2013, concept art from the film was released. The first trailer for the film was released on February 27, 2013.
- Sony Pictures Animation (August 21, 2012). "Delicious Voice Cast Storms In To "Cloudy 2: Revenge Of The Leftovers"". PR Newswire. Retrieved November 3, 2012.
- Noyer, Jérémie (September 30, 2012). "Hotel Transylvania composer Mark Mothersbaugh’s DEVO-tion to animation". Animated Views. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- The Deadline Team (October 15, 2012). "Sony Upgrades Elysium Into Summer 2013, Pushing RoboCop To February 2014". Deadline. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- Breznican, Anthony (August 21, 2012). "CAUTION: Food may eat YOU in 'Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs' sequel -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 22, 2012.
- Chitwood, Adam (June 7, 2012). "First Promo Image from M. Night Shyamalan’s AFTER EARTH; First Synopsis for CLOUDY 2: REVENGE OF THE LEFTOVERS". Collider.com. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- Kit, Borys (June 22, 2012). "Kristen Schaal Joins Voice Cast of 'Cloudy 2' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 23, 2012.
- Woerner, Meredith (April 12, 2010). "Cloudy With Meatballs 2 Is Happening — Minus The Original Directors". Io9. Retrieved October 21, 2010.
- Abrams, Rachel (December 13, 2011). "Helmers set for 'Cloudy 2' toon". Variety. Retrieved December 13, 2011.
- "The Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs Sequel Gets a Title". ComingSoon.net. February 29, 2012. Retrieved August 25, 2012.
- Schaefer, Sandy (October 15, 2012). "'RoboCop' & 'Elysium' Bumped Back; 'Cloudy 2' Moves Up". ScreenRant. Retrieved December 2, 2012.
- "Sony Sets RoboCop and Cloudy 2: Revenge of the Leftovers Dates". ComingSoon.net. March 9, 2012. Retrieved September 28, 2012.
- "Cloudy 2: Revenge of the Leftovers". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved March 16, 2012.
- Mandell, Andrea (January 17, 2013). "First look: 'Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2'". USA Today. Retrieved January 20, 2013.
- "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 Reveals a New Image". ComingSoon.net. February 22, 2013. Retrieved February 22, 2013.
- Official website
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at the Internet Movie Database
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at Rotten Tomatoes
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at Metacritic
- Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 at Box Office Mojo