June 5, 1989 |
Greenwich, CT, USA
|Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|Weight||172 lb (78 kg; 12 st 4 lb)|
|NHL team (P)
|Columbus Blue Jackets
Springfield Falcons (AHL)
|National team||United States|
|NHL Draft||157th overall, 2008
Columbus Blue Jackets
He is best known for playing for the Boston College Eagles men's ice hockey team in the NCAA's Division I Hockey East conference. He was selected by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 6th round (157th overall) of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft out of Avon Old Farms School in Avon, Connecticut. Although he is smaller than most forwards, he is known for his great speed, soft hands, and excellent shooting skills.
In the 2009–10 season Atkinson lead the nation in goals scored with thirty goals, including two in the National Championship game. During one stretch of the 2009–10 season Atkinson scored three hat-tricks in ten games.
In March 2011 Atkinson signed a two year contract with the Columbus Blue Jackets organization. He then began playing for the Springfield Falcons. While with the Springfield Falcons of the AHL, Atkinson made his mark on the team by recording 3 goals and 2 assists for 5 points in 5 games.
His first NHL goal was scored on October 10, 2011 against Cory Schneider of the Vancouver Canucks, although the Canucks won, 3-2. He was sent to Springfield after playing four games with Columbus in 2011-12.
He was named to the 2012 AHL All-Star team on January 4, 2012 for his play with the Springfield Falcons during the 2011-2012 Season, as of 1/4/12 he had 15 goals and 10 assists through 30 games. He was one of 13 rookies named to the All-Star teams.
On April 5, 2012 he recorded his first NHL hat trick against the Colorado Avalanche in a 5-2 win.
Notable awards and honors
Regular season and playoffs
|2011–12||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||27||7||7||14||14||—||—||—||—||—|
|2012–13||Columbus Blue Jackets||NHL||35||9||9||18||4||—||—||—||—||—|
- Howe, Jeff (31 March 2010). "BC's Chris Kreider, Cam Atkinson Among Players to Watch During Frozen Four". NESN. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Connolly, John (11 April 2010). "Cam Atkinson reaches goals". The Boston Herald. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- Marrapese-Burrell, Nancy (9 April 2010). "Atkinson helped to hold the line". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Blue Jackets sign Boston College forward Atkinson". USA Today. Associated Press. 27 March 2011. Retrieved 27 March 2011.
- Vancouver Canucks at Columbus Blue Jackets Game Recap - 10/10/2011
- Berlet, B. "Whale Suffer Shootout Loss in Home Opener". Connecticut Whale. Retrieved 2011-10-17.
- TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League | 2012 All-Star rosters unveiled
- "Cam Atkinson Profile". The Hockey News.
- National Hockey League (2010). The National Hockey League Official Guide & Record Book/2011. Triumph Books. p. 277. ISBN 978-1-60078-422-4.
- Hockey East First-Team All-Stars
- "Hockey East Announces 2010-2011 All-Star Teams". Hockey East Online.
- "Hockey East Tournament 2011: Boston College Defends Title, Wins 5-3 Over Merrimack". SB Nation Boston.