Bullets in the Gun (song)
|"Bullets in the Gun"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album Bullets in the Gun|
|Released||27 September 2010|
|Label||Show Dog-Universal Music|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"Bullets in the Gun" is the title of a song co-written by Toby Keith and Rivers Rutherford, and recorded by Keith. It is the title track to, and second single from, his 2010 album Bullets in the Gun. The song was released on 27 September 2010 and entered the country music charts at number 37.
The song plays on the Bonnie and Clyde story to give a modernized account of a vagabond outlaw couple. The song concludes where guns blazing as the couple goes out in a firefight with the law.
Juli Thanki of The 9513 gave the song a "thumbs up", saying that Keith's vocals had "nearly tangible bravado". Randy Lewis of the Los Angeles Times called the song "cinematic" and compared it to Marty Robbins's "El Paso". Reviewing for the New York Times, Jon Caramanica called the song "a pumped-up and comically desperate tale" and "almost parodic". Matt Bjorke of Roughstock gave the song a positive review, saying that it was Keith's best single in a decade. He also called it "a fantastic reminder of how a strongly lyrical song can take us places and into a movie in our minds." Bjorke also said that "even if you don’t condone the fictional story being told, it’s still a damn good song with a melody which suits the lyric perfectly."
Music video↑Jump back a section
"Bullets in the Gun" debuted at number 37 on the Hot Country Songs chart dated for the week ending 9 October 2010. It also debuted at number 97 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week of 20 November 2010.
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Billboard Hot 100||83|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||69|
- Thanki, Juli (8 October 2010). "Toby Keith — "Bullets in the Gun"". The 9513. Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Lewis, Randy (5 October 2010). "Album review: Toby Keith's 'Bullets in the Gun'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 26 October 2010. Text " Pop & Hiss " ignored (help); Text " Los Angeles Times " ignored (help)
- Caramanica, Jon (3 October 2010). "Critics’ Choice - New CDs from Toby Keith, Marnie Stern and King Sunny Adé - Review - NYTimes.com". The New York Times. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Bullets in the Gun review by Matt Bjorke
- Duvall, Erin (20 January 2011). "Court Yard Hounds Question Toby Keith's 'Bullets in the Gun'". The Boot. Retrieved 23 January 2011.
- ""Bullets in the Gun" video". CMT. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- Morris, Edward (2 October 2010). "Zac Brown Band Crowns Album Charts With You Get What You Give". CMT. Retrieved 26 October 2010.
- "Toby Keith Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Country Songs for Toby Keith. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Toby Keith Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Toby Keith. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 10 December 2011.