|One Life to Live family|
From left: Robert Gorrie as Matthew Buchanan, Robert S. Woods as Bo Buchanan, Jerry verDorn as Clint Buchanan, and Tuc Watkins as David Vickers Buchanan, 2013
|Created by||Gordon Russell and Sam Hall|
|Original run||September 10, 1979– present|
|First appearance||September 10, 1979|
21 Riverside Drive
Llanview, Pennsylvania 19100
The Buchanan family is a long-running family of fictional characters on the American soap opera One Life to Live. An ensemble originally inspired by the Ewings of the popular primetime soap opera, Dallas, the family appears on the serial continually from September 1979 through the series finale in January 2012. The ensemble reappeared upon The Online Network resumption of the series since April 2013.
- Only current spouses are listed or those who were married when they died
- Characters currently appearing on OLTL appear in bold
- Notable children who are stillborn or die before proper character development are italicized
- Jasper Buchanan - Buck's father, Asa's great-grandfather
- Buck Buchanan - Asa's grandfather
- Dorothy "Blaize" Pardee Buchanan - Asa's grandmother
- Asa Buchanan (born October 31, 1924; died August 16, 2007)
- Pike Buchanan (deceased)
- Rebecca Buchanan
- Jeannie Buchanan Garretson (deceased)
- Miguel Garretson (deceased)
- Wanda Webb
- Paul Webb (deceased)
- Donna Webb
- Clint Buchanan (born March 9, 1945)
- Bo Buchanan (born April 18, 1948)
- Ben Davidson (born March 27, 1961; died May 27, 2004)
- Austin Buchanan (died May 1989)
- Rafe Garretson
- Jason Webb
- Cord Roberts (born November 1, 1961)
- David Vickers Buchanan (born 1965; changed to 1969)
- Kevin Riley Buchanan (born September 12, 1976, changed to 1970; adopted)
- Joey Riley Buchanan (born January 8, 1980, changed to 1976; adopted)
- Drew Buchanan (born September 23, 1983; changed to 1976; died September 16, 1998)
- Jessica Buchanan (born September 23, 1986; changed to 1978)
- Natalie Buchanan (born September 23, 1986; changed to 1978)
- Rex Balsom (born 1983; changed to 1979)
- Sammi Garretson (born May 16, 1985; changed to 1979)
- Matthew Buchanan (born February 22, 1999; changed to 1992)
- Clinton James "C. J." Roberts (born April 3, 1987; changed to 1981)
- Sarah Roberts (born February 6, 1991; changed to 1985)
- Duke Buchanan (born June 29, 1992, changed to 1986; died May 12, 2006; adopted)
- Kevin Buchanan Jr. (stillborn; March 23, 2004; adopted)
- Megan Buchanan Rappaport (stillborn; June 1, 1999)
- Bree Brennan (born May 1, 2006)
- Chloe Brennan (stillborn; November 6, 2008)
- Shane Balsom (born March 25, 1998; changed to 1996)
- Liam McBain (born January 11, 2011)
- Ryder Ford (born January 11, 2011)
- Drew Buchanan II (born January 13, 2012)
- Zane Buchanan (born October 31, 2006; changed to 1995; adopted)
Clint Buchanan arrives in Llanview, Pennsylvania in September 1979, soon followed by his brother Bo in November and their father Asa in December 1979. Clint marries central heroine Victoria Lord Riley in 1982, cementing the family's prominence in the series.
Clint adopts Viki's sons Kevin and Joey Riley, and in 1986 discovers he has an adult son, Cord Roberts, with old flame Maria. Clint and Viki have a daughter of their own, Jessica, that same year. In 2001 it is revealed that Viki had been pregnant with twins, one fathered by Clint and the other by Viki's nemesis Mitch Laurence; Jessica turns out to be Mitch's daughter, and Clint and Viki's child — kidnapped at birth — is a young woman named Natalie. On January 6, 2012, Allison Perkins revealed that Jessica and Natalie are both biologically Clint's daughters.
In 1983, Bo and Becky Lee Abbott have a son they name Drew, who ultimately becomes a police officer and dies in the line of duty in 1998. In February 1999, Bo fathers a son (later named Matthew) with wife Nora, though Matthew is thought to be Sam Rappaport's biological child until 2003.
Patriarch Asa marries multiple women during his decades in Llanview, and in 1999 Viki's husband Ben Davidson turns out to be Asa's biological son. Ben is shot and slips into a coma in 2002; he eventually dies in 2004. Asa passes away on August 16, 2007, and it is revealed that he had believed con-man David Vickers is his son. David is ultimately proven to be Bo's biological child in 2009.
Buchanan Enterprises, founded by billionaire Asa Buchanan, is a multinational, family-owned corporation with offices worldwide. After visiting in Llanview in 1979, Texas-born Asa moves the headquarters of his company to Llanview in 1980 to stay close to sons Clint and Bo. As ruthless in business as he is devoted to his family, Asa's machinations (and attempts to both protect and control his family members) drive much of the drama in the series over the next two decades.In 1997, Clint's son Cord Roberts leaves Llanview for the London office of Buchanan Enterprises, and in 1998 Clint follows him. Clint returns to Llanview for good in 2005, and his adopted son Kevin later succeeds him in London in late 2006. Clint's daughter Natalie joins the company in 2007 after a failed attempt to become a police forensics investigator. Natalie's sister Jessica as well soon joins B.E. to fund her husband Nash's vineyard. Asa remained at B.E.'s helm until his death in August 2007 in which his son Clint succeed him as CEO. Asa's will forces his heirs to work together as board members for the company to earn their inheritance. The usually-upstanding Clint finds himself using the underhanded tactics of his father to fend off the multiple takeover attempts of Asa's business rivals. Fueled by a desire for personal revenge against Clint, Dr. Dorian Lord plots a secret, hostile take-over of the company, which succeeds at the Buchanan Enterprises shareholder meeting on June 3, 2008. Dorian renames the company Cramer Enterprises. In October 2008, District Attorney and Clint's love interest, Nora Hanen, manages to finesse Dorian into signing controlling interest of the company back to the Buchanan family in exchange for dropping potential attempted murder charges. The company is re-christened Buchanan Enterprises or BE.
In December 2008, the Buchanans gather for a video message from Asa. A year prior, Asa had stipulated in his will that the family had one year to fulfill a challenge in order to receive their inheritance: work together as a family to raise the price of BE stocks. If they succeeded, they would be rich, if they failed...they would not receive a cent. Due to the takeover commandeered by Dorian and the near collapse of the US economy, BE shares have declined. As punishment, the Buchanan inheritance is left to Asa's long-lost son, David Vickers. David learns of his true parentage, and soon claims what is his. However, a DNA test confirms that David is instead Bo's son, rendering Asa's original will null and void.
On episode first-run June 28, 2011 in order for Clint Buchanan to get a heart transplant and live, he was forced to give his estranged son Rex Balsom Buchanan Enterprises. In return, Clint would get Rex's fiances, Gigi Morasco's heart. All existing shares, funds and properties were signed over to Rex Balsom. On the October 21 episode of that year, Rex Balsom returned all of the Buchanan holdings to its rightful owner Clint Buchanan.