Bristol Rovers F.C.–Swindon Town F.C. rivalry
||A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (April 2011)|
|City or region||South West England|
|Teams involved||Bristol Rovers and Swindon Town|
|First contested||15 January 1921|
|Most wins||Swindon Town (43)|
|Most recent meeting||Swindon Town 0-0 Bristol Rovers
(31 March 2012)
|Largest victory||Bristol City 5-0 Swindon Town
(25 March 1939)
The fixture between Bristol Rovers and Swindon Town is a local football rivalry, sometimes referred to as a West Country derby or M4 Derby. In recent season both Bristol Rovers and Swindon have played in the same league, therefore meaning the encounter is regularly contested and can feature an intense atmosphere. It is just under 35 miles from Bristol to Swindon, and both clubs are situated in the South West region of England.
The first meeting between the clubs came in 1921 with Swindon winning the inaugural match 2-1 in a Third Division match. Including this match, there have been 94 games with the most recent being a 0-0 draw at Swindon's County Ground on 31 March 2012.
Having been in the same division in only two seasons out of 13 between 1993 and 2006, the clubs would then be in the same division for the next six seasons in a row, even being promoted (League Two in 2007) and relegated (League One in 2011) at the same time. However, following Swindon's promotion back to League One the two sides are not set to meet for the first time since 2005.
During meetings and prior to the match between Bristol Rovers and Swindon usually contains contain a heavy police presence. Helicopters are also in place to scan the area for any violence or fights between the fans prior and during and after the game. Matches between Bristol Rovers and Swindon Town can sometimes be moved to a 1pm kick-off to ensure trouble is prevented erupting between rival fans on Saturday. Violence occurred between prior to a match between the sides on Saturday 28 April 2007. The incident occurred in the Inn on the green pub garden in Horefield, Bristol, just a 5 minute walk from the Bristol Rovers stadium. The Bristol Rovers yobs in question were armed with bats, glasses, bottles and bits of wood. Shortly after the incident riot police arrived but were to late to catch the perpetrators. Swindon Town fans were also reported to be injured during the incident.
Current as of 6 April 2011. Statistics obtained from Soccerbase.
For either team to beat the other in both league games in a season is seen as a great achievement and a sign of superiority. Swindon have achieved the double in 9 seasons, while Bristol Rovers have only managed 5 doubles.
Bristol R Doubles
- Highest aggregate score: 8 (Swindon Town 3 - 5 Bristol Rovers, 1926/1927)
- Highest Bristol Rovers score: 5 (Bristol Rovers 5 - 0 Swindon Town, 1938/1939)
- Highest Swindon Town score: 5 (Swindon Town 5 - 2 Bristol Rovers, 1981/1982)
- Most Recent Result: Bristol Rovers 3 - 1 Swindon Town, 2010/2011
Players who played for both clubs
- "Go For Goals In M4 Derby". Betrescue. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- "EDL Supprters Try to Gain Ground with Bristol Rovers". Independent Media Center. Retrieved 18 April 2011.
- "Distance between Bristol united kingdom and Swindon united kingdom". mapcrow.info. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- "Six arrests after football derby". Swindon Advertiser. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "Thugs' baseball attack on Town fans". Swindon Advertiser. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "head-to-head: All time results between Bristol Rovers and Swindon Town". soccerbase. Retrieved 2011-04-06.