|Born||Barrington Antonio Irving, Jr.
November 11, 1983 
|Known for||Youngest person to circumnavigate the world solo
First black person to circumnavigate the world
|Awards||Jamaica - Order of Distinction, Commander Class (2007)
United States - 110th Congress, House Resolution 601 (2007)
|First flight||March 23 – June 27, 2007 (97 days)
Barrington Antonio Irving, Jr., C.D. (born November 11, 1983) was the youngest person to pilot a plane around the world solo. He is also the first black person and first Jamaican to accomplish this feat. As of 2007, he was an aerospace student at Florida Memorial University. His airplane, a Cessna 400, is named the "Inspiration", and was manufactured and assembled by the Columbia Aircraft Mfg. Co. in 2005, classified as a standard aircraft in the utility category using over $300,000 in donated parts.
Irving was born on November 11, 1983 in Kingston, Jamaica and grew up in Miami, Florida. He is a graduate of Miami Northwestern High School. Irving turned down multiple football scholarship offers with his sights set on aviation. He later founded Experience Aviation, a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering minority youth to pursue careers in aviation. His airplane, the "Inspiration", has been registered to Experience Aviation since 2006.
His record was broken in 2012 by the 22 year old Swiss Carlo Schmid.
- "H. Res. 661 [110th]: Honoring the accomplishments of Barrington Antonio Irving, the youngest pilot and first person of...". GovTrack.us. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Moore, Clayton (1983-11-11). "Airport Journals". Airport Journals. Retrieved 2012-01-29.
- "Interview With Barrington Irving Who Will Fly Solo Around The World (Jamaica)". Jamaicans.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "NASA - NE@Experience Aviation". Nasa.gov. 2008-08-01. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- "Young Pilot Ends Round-The-World Solo Trip". CBS News. 2007-06-27
- Samuels, Robert (2007-06-27). "Young pilot completes round-the-world flight" (– ung+pilot+completes+round-the-world+flight&as_publication=&as_ylo=&as_yhi=&btnG=Search Scholar search). Miami Herald[dead link]
- [dead link]
- "H.Res.661: Honoring the accomplishments of Barrington Antonio Irving, the youngest pilot and first person of... OpenCongress". Opencongress.org. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Published 18-Feb-08 (2008-02-18). "Youngest Pilot Jamaican Barrington Irving Honoured by US Congress". Caribbeanpressreleases.com. Retrieved 2011-10-31.
- Mallozzi, Vincent M. (2007-07-18). "At 23, the Youngest Pilot to Solo the Planet". The New York Times. Retrieved 2010-04-26.
- James-Johnson, Alva (2007-03-23). "Young pilot has a global mission". Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 2007-03-24.[dead link]
- "Pilot Eyes the World". Associated Press. 2007-03-23.
- Experience Aviation - includes GPS-enabled flight tracker
- uVu - exclusive video highlights of historic trip; keyword search: Barrington
|This Floridian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Jamaican biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language