||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
Babita (left) with her daughters Karisma & Kareena
April 20, 1948 |
|Spouse(s)||Randhir Kapoor (1971–Present)|
Babita (Sindhi: ببيتا ڀمڀاڻي) (or Bhambhani) (born 20 April 1948, in Mumbai, is a former Bollywood actress. Babita was born to actor Hari Shivdasani, who was from a Sindhi family that migrated from Pakistan to India, while her mother is an English British national. Babita is also mother of today's well known actresses Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor, she is the wife of actor Randhir Kapoor, and the eldest daughter-in-law of actor Raj Kapoor. She is also great-daughter-in-law of actor Prithviraj Kapoor.
Babita was born to actor Hari Shivdasani into a Sindhi family that migrated from Pakistan. Shivdasani organized a screen test for her with veteran producer G.P. Sippy. He liked her screen test and gave her the opportunity to star in his film.
In her short career she appeared in 19 films including: Dus Lakh (1966), Raaz (1967), Farz (1967), Aulad (1968), Haseena Maan Jayegi (1969), Kab Kyon Aur Kahan (1970) and many more. She starred with her future husband Randhir Kapoor in the hit film Kal Aaj Aur Kal. Her biggest box-office successes were Haseena Maan Jayegi (1968) with her future uncle-in-law Shashi Kapoor, Farz with Jeetendra and Kismat with Vishwajeet.
She married Randhir Kapoor on 6 November 1971 when she was just 23. After their marriage, Babita had to leave the film industry, as part of the Kapoor tradition which forbids women from acting in films. The marriage produced 2 children: Karisma Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor.
After the birth of their daughters, their relationship was under strain and finally after a few years they separated. Babita walked out taking her daughters with her. She would eventually break the tradition for which she was forced to leave the industry. Her two daughters went on to become stars of their generation while she could never reach that kind of success.
After 20 years of separation, Babita re-united with husband Randhir Kapoor in 2007 and moved in with him from her old household.
Babita became a grandmother when elder daughter, Karisma gave birth to a baby girl, Samaira Kapoor, who was born on 11 March 2005. Babita became a grandmother for a second time when Karisma gave birth to her second child, son Kiaan Raj Kapoor on 12 March 2010. She now lives in Mumbai with Kareena Kapoor and Randhir Kapoor.
Due to the marriage, she is the eldest daughter-in-law of actor Raj Kapoor also she is the great-daughter-in-law of actor Prithviraj Kapoor, she is the sister-in-law of actors Rishi Kapoor and Rajiv Kapoor, she is also the sisters-in-law of actress Neetu Singh, her uncle-in-laws are actors Shammi Kapoor and Shashi Kapoor, she is also the aunt of actor Ranbir Kapoor.
|1968||Haseena Maan Jayegi||Archana 'Archie'|
|1969||Tumse Achcha Kaun Hai||Sapna Nath|
|1969||Ek Shriman Ek Shrimati||Deepali Lakhanpal|
|1970||Kab? Kyoon? Aur Kahan?||Asha Prasad|
|1971||Kal Aaj Aur Kal||Monica 'Mona'|
|1972||Ek Hasina Do Diwane||Neeta|
|1973||Sone Ke Hath|
- Babita was offered the author-backed role of a widow (eventually played by Hema Malini) in Ramesh Sippy's Andaaz, but her father thought it was contrary to her glamour girl image and prevailed upon Babita to turn it down.
- She worked in at least one film with all the top stars of the day, including Shammi Kapoor in Tumse Achcha Kaun Hai, Rajendra Kumar in Anjaana, Manoj Kumar in Pehchaan and Dharmendra in Kab, Kyon Aur Kahan.
- Around the jubilee week, the censor board scissored off a portion of the song Hum to tere ashiq hain. After a lot of public hue and cry, the song was reinstated which gave the film a lease of an additional 25 weeks.
- Meena Iyer, TNN Feb 24, 2010, 12.00am IST (2010-02-24). "Kareena: Yes, I eat! - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- TNN Dec 26, 2011, 12.00AM IST (2011-12-26). "Kareena, Saif at St Andrew’s Church in Mumbai - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- By: Upala KBR (2008-12-26). "Kareena, family and friends go to midnight mass at St Andrews". Mid-day.com. Retrieved 2012-10-16.