November 17, 1979
Life and career
Born in Kabul, Afghanistan, her family fled her native country when she was still a baby in the wake of the Soviet war in Afghanistan. They travelled to the United States and were granted asylum as political refugees. Raised by a conservative family, she has two sisters; her parents separated when she was in middle school. Ghanizada is a graduate of James Madison High School in Vienna, Virginia and has a degree in English and Communications from Virginia Tech.
Ghanizada learned to speak English from watching television; that combined with the family's regular trips to a local cinema that showed Bollywood movies inspired her to become an actress. She relocated to Los Angeles and began her on-air camera career by getting work in television commercials due to her non-descript ethnicity which enabled her to play Mediterranean, Indian, and Arabic roles. In the Laura Neri film A Kiss on the Nose, Ghanizada played the lead role of Chiara, a performance for which she received a film festival best actress nomination. Her television guest-starring roles include How I Met Your Mother, Entourage, Veronica Mars, The Wedding Bells, NUMB3RS, Bones, Psych and Castle. She had a supporting role in the 2009 science fiction action film Blood Shot, and the independent comedies, "You, Only Better" (2009).
In 2008, Ghanizada joined the cast of the General Hospital prime-time spin-off General Hospital: Night Shift for season 2 as Dr. Saira Batra, a specialist in holistic medicine. In 2009, Ghanizada played Kelly, a Prada sales girl on HBO's Entourage (season 6, episode 2) and joined the cast of the television pilot Tough Trade from Weeds creator Jenji Kohan, and executive producer T Bone Burnett.
|2004||A Kiss on the Nose||Chiara||Short film|
|2007||X's & O's||Anita|
|2009||Why Men Go Gay in L.A.|
|2010||You, Only Better...||Kali Parker|
|2005||The Closer||Neighbor||Episode: "Batter Up"|
|2007||Bones||Girlfriend||Episode: "The Man in the Mansion"|
|2007||The Wedding Bells||Jody||Episode: "Wedding from Hell"|
|2007||Veronica Mars||Amira Krimani||Episode: "Un-American Graffiti"|
|2008||General Hospital: Night Shift||Dr. Saira Batra||14 episodes|
|2009||How I Met Your Mother||Sexy Female Cop||Episode: "As Fast as She Can"|
|2009||Entourage||Kelly||Episode: "Amongst Friends"|
|2009||Psych||Mina||Episode: "Bollywood Homicide"|
|2009||Ghost Whisperer||Charee||Episode: "Devil's Bargain"|
|2010||Tough Trade||Sabina||TV movie|
|2010||Castle||Mistress Sapphire||Episode: "The Mistress Always Spanks Twice"|
|2010||NCIS: Los Angeles||Rochelle Stanton||Episode: "Disorder"|
|2011||Friends with Benefits||Tasi||Episode: "The Benefit of Full Disclosure"|
|2011–2012||Alphas||Rachel Pirzad||Main role|
|2012||Body of Proof||Annabelle Kip||Episode: "Cold Blooded"|
|2012||Up All Night||Natasha||Episode: "The Game of Life"|
- Lane, Laura (2011 [last update]). "Esquire + Me in My Place: Azita Ghanizada". esquire.com. Retrieved 30 July 2011.
- Unknown. "Status Update". Alpha Media. Archived from the original on 27 July 2011. Retrieved Aug 2011.
- Krystal, Becky (2008-10-05). "At This 'Hospital,' Virginia Doctors Are In". The Washington Post (Washington DC: WPC). ISSN 0190-8286. Retrieved 26 July 2011. "Ghanizada, 29"
- Radish, Christina (2011-07-08). "Azita Ghanizada Interview ALPHAS". collider.com. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Actress has traveled from Afghanistan to 'Alphas'". greatfallstribune.com. 2011-07-01. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- Stout, Chris (2011-03-01). "Azita Ghanizada Interview". manjr.com. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Cast Biographies for Alphas: Azita Ghanizada". syfy.com. 2011 [last update]. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Grundey, Adam (2011-05-01). "Azita Ghanizada’s Rise to Alpha Female". rollingstoneme.com. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
- "Interview With Actress Azita Ghanizada". screenwritingforhollywood.com. 2008-02-12. Retrieved 26 July 2011.
|This article about a United States film and television actor or actress born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language