Audley End railway station
|Audley End railway station in July 2012|
|Managed by||Greater Anglia|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures and station information
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|30 July 1845||Station opens as Wenden|
|1 November 1848||Name changed to Audley End|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Audley End from Office of Rail Regulation statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Audley End railway station serves the small village of Wendens Ambo and the nearby town of Saffron Walden. The station is named after the manor of Audley End in Essex, England, also nearby. There was formerly a platform at the east end of the station ( ) for a branch line to Saffron Walden, though this was closed in 1964.
Opened by the Eastern Counties Railway, it was absorbed into the Great Eastern Railway, becoming part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The station then passed on to the Eastern Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948.
The station name was changed on signs to Audley End for Saffron Walden in 2012. Sir Alan Haselhurst, MP for Saffron Walden officially unveiled the re-branded signs at Audley End station on Friday 25 May at 11.30. 
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
West Anglia Main Line
|Stansted Mountfitchet||Greater Anglia
West Anglia Main Line
Birmingham - Stansted Airport
|Saffron Walden||Great Eastern Railway
Saffron Walden Railway
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Sub Brit page about Saffron Walden Platform
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|This article about a railway station in the East of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language