Arizona State Route 289
|Maintained by ADOT|
|Length:||10.33 mi (16.62 km)|
|Existed:||1960 – present|
|West end:||Peña Blanca Dam|
|East end:||I-19 in Nogales, Arizona|
State Route 289 (SR 289) is a highway in Santa Cruz County, Arizona that runs from its junction with Interstate 19, old U.S. Route 89 to the north of Nogales to Peña Blanca Lake. It is an east–west route.
SR 289 is a 10.33-mile (16.62 km) highway that runs from I-19 westward to the Pena Blanca Dam, passing through sparsely inhabited territory. It does not pass through any cities or towns and primarily serves as access for recreation at Pena Blanca Lake. From its eastern terminus at I-19, the highway heads in a western direction before curving towards the southwest. The highway eventually curves back towards the west until it turns north towards the lake. There is a Y junction where the road branches off to the lake to the north and a forest road that continues west that connects to a very scenic drive through the Coronado National Forest. This road passes Arivaca Peak, Sycamore Canyon, the ghost town of Ruby and continues west to the town of Arivaca and SR 286. This stretch requires four-wheel drive and there are no services along the entire stretch.
An unpaved road existed along the current route since 1935. The route was established as SR 289 in 1960, when it only ran west from US 89 to the Coronado National Forest boundary. The next year, the route was extended westward to Peña Blanca Lake. By 1971, US 89 at SR 289's eastern terminus was replaced by I-19.
The entire route is in Santa Cruz County.
|0.00||0.00||I-19 – Nogales, Tucson|
|10.33||16.62||Peña Blanca Dam|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Arizona Department of Transportation. "2008 ADOT Highway Log". Retrieved April 8, 2008.
- Arizona Game & Fish. "Pena Blanca Lake". Archived from the original on 12 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Google Inc. Google Maps – overview map of SR 289 (Map). Cartography by Google, Inc. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=10335143866703101933,31.430140,-110.962490%3B15034016154052340524,31.400150,-111.087710&saddr=E+Ruby+Rd+%4031.430140,+-110.962490&daddr=Unknown+road+%4031.400150,+-111.087710&doflg=ptm&jsv=107&sll=31.40784,-111.026245&sspn=0.186653,0.188828&ie=UTF8&z=12. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- Arizona State Highway Department (1935). Road Map of Arizona (Map). http://www.aaroads.com/west/maps/1935-az.php. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Right-of-Way Resolution 1960-005". Arizona Department of Transportation. 1960. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- "Right-of-Way Resolution 1961-013". Arizona Department of Transportation. 1961. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
- Arizona State Highway Department (1971). Arizona (Map). Cartography by Photogrammetry and Mapping Division. http://www.aaroads.com/west/maps/1971-az.php. Retrieved April 9, 2012.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language