Arachne (web browser)
||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling. (February 2013)|
Arachne GPL web browser using its VESA and CGA display modes, respectively.
|Developer(s)||Michal Polák and Jeremiah Zavala.|
|Initial release||December 22, 1996|
|Stable release||1.97 (March 6, 2013[±])|
|Preview release||none [±]|
|Operating system||DOS, GNU/Linux|
Arachne is a full-screen Internet suite containing a graphical web browser, email client, and dialer. It primarily runs on DOS-based operating systems, but includes builds for Linux as well. The Linux version relies on SVGALib and is, therefore, incompatible with X. Arachne was originally created by Michal Polák (under the label xChaos software, later renamed to Arachne Labs) in the C language and compiled using Borland C++ 3.1 compiler, and has since been released under the GPL as Arachne GPL.
Arachne is currently the most advanced graphical web browser available for DOS as it supports many file formats, protocols and standards. It supports video modes from CGA 640×200 in monochrome to VESA 1024×768 in high color mode (65536 colors). Arachne is designed for systems that do not have any windowing systems installed.
The first release of Arachne with a known release date was 1.0 Beta 2 which was released on 22 December 1996. The final official version by Arachne Labs was 1.70R3 for DOS (released 22 January 2001) and 1.66 beta for Linux (released 20 July 2000). While there have been several DOS versions, Linux development lay dormant until May 24, 2008 when a (still beta) version, 1.93, for Linux branch was released.
Arachne supports a limited subset of stylesheets and HTML. Known support as of version 1.93, GPL:
|color||#rgb or #rrggbb or a color name|
|background-color||background||#rgb or #rrggbb or a color name|
|font-size||%, px, pt|
See also↑Jump back a section
- Rakitin, Jason "Review: Alternative Web browsers" Network World, October 27, 1997[dead link]
- "Section 508 Alternative Browsers" National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- Arachne GPL 1.95;GPL WWW Browser
- Arachne Labs
- Stutz, Michael "Czech Browser Won't Do Windows" Wired, June 6, 1997
- "Arachne HTML support". FreeDos. 2008-07-10. Archived from the original on 2011-08-26. Retrieved 2008-11-26.
- Rakitin, Jason (27 Oktober 1997). "Review: Alternative Web browsers". Network World Fusion. Archived from the original on 5October 2001. Retrieved 26 July 2010.
- Arachne file archive[dead link]
- Glenn McCorkle (2008). "Arachne v1.93;GPL for Linux". Retrieved 2008-07-02.
- "Is Arachne the same program as Caldera Webspyder?" Arachne Frequently Asked Questions
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Arachne (web browser)|
- Arachne Development group & list
- Arachne GPL
- Arachne Add-ons
- Arachne Labs homepage
- Mel's Arachne4DOS UK Home page (original site gone but now mirrored at glennmcc's site)
- Arachne version history
- Mime.Cfg Secrets by Bernhard "Bernie" Eriksson
- Arachne HTML support at freedos.org
- Arachne web browser. Installing and setting up for internet connection via Ethernet network adapter