André Kole, stage name of Robert Gurtler Jr. (born 1936), is an American magician and inventor of magical effects. He is also a committed Christian and is a public speaker for the evangelical group Campus Crusade for Christ International.
Robert Gurtler was inspired to take up magic at the age of seven after seeing a performance by Moxo the Magician (Mark E. Barker). By the time he was 20, now known as André Kole, he was performing his Table of Death trick on the national network television show You Asked For It. In 1955 he received the annual Al Sharpe Award for Originality in Presentation from the Texas Association of Magicians.
Among the illusions Kole is credited with devising are the Squeeze Box illusion (licensed to builder John Gaughan), and the Head Mover illusion (as performed by David Copperfield, Tim Kole and Kirby Van Birch).
He also uses his magical knowledge and skills to debunk frauds and hoaxes. He was reported in 2003 as offering US$1million to the Rev. Dr. Donald Stewart if Stewart could prove a statement made in the Jamaican newspaper the Jamaica Gleaner that Satan gives supernatural powers.
- "Brief Biographies of Magic Inventors". Magic Nook. Archived from the original on 11 August 2007. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- "Biography on official website at www.andrekole.org". Archived from the original on 2007-02-08. Retrieved 2007-03-06.
- Moehring, John (January 2005). "Alton Sharpe 1921-2004". Magic magazine (Magic magazine). Retrieved 2007-07-24
- "Illusion Guide: Proprietary designs and Intellectual Property information for new or used illusions". Zigmont Magic. Archived from the original on 13 February 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-06. and "Illusion Hotline: Who owns the rights". MagicAuction.Com. Archived from the original on 22 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-03-06.
- ""André Kole's million-dollar challenge'" by Mark Dawes". Jamaica Gleaner. 2003-12-02. Retrieved 2007-03-06.
- "André Kole Bio". André Kole. Retrieved 2008-05-19.
André Kole with Jerry MacGregor, Mind Games: Exposing today's psychics, frauds and false spiritual phenomena, pub. Harvest House (February 1998), ISBN 978-1-56507-826-0
André Kole and Terry Holley, Astrology and psychic phenomena, Published: Grand Rapids, Mich., Zondervan, (c.1998), ISBN 0-310-48921-0 (pbk.)
- Official website for André Kole the magician
- Official website for André Kole's ministry
- Genii magazine forum page dated December 2005 about a "walking on water" trick.
- Walking on water:  
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language