3rd Dragoon Guards
|3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales's Dragoon Guards)|
Badge of the 3rd Dragoon Guards
|Country|| Kingdom of England (1685–1707)
Kingdom of Great Britain (1707–1800)
United Kingdom (1801–1922)
|Motto||Ich Dien (I Serve)|
|March||Quick - God Bless the Prince of Wales
Slow - Men of Harlech
The 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards was a cavalry regiment in the British Army, first raised in 1685. It saw service for three centuries, before being amalgamated into the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards in 1922.
The regiment was first raised as the Earl of Plymouth's Regiment of Horse in 1685, by the regimenting of various independent troops, and ranked as the 4th Regiment of Horse.
In 1746 it was ranked as the 3rd Dragoon Guards, and formally titled in 1751 as the 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards.
Shortly thereafter, in 1765, it took the title 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards, for the future George IV.
After service in the First World War, it retitled as 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales's) in 1921, and was amalgamated with the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers) to form the 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards the following year.
The regiment was awarded the following battle honours:
- Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde, Malplaquet, Warburg, Beaumont, Willems, Talavera, Albuhera, Vittoria, Peninsula, Abyssinia, South Africa 1901-02
- The Great War: Ypres 1914 '15, Nonne Bosschen, Frezenberg, Loos, Arras 1917, Scarpe 1917, Somme 1918, St. Quentin, Avre, Amiens, Hindenburg Line, Beaurevoir, Cambrai 1918, Pursuit to Mons, France and Flanders 1914-18
Former names of the regiment and some Colonels
1685 4th Regiment of Horse
- 1685 Thomas, Earl of Plymouth —Windsor's or The Earl of Plymouth's Regiment of Horse
- 1687 Sir John Fenwick —Sir John Fenwick's Horse
- 1688 Richard, Earl Rivers —Savage's or Earl Rivers' Horse
- 1693 John, Lord Berkeley —Lord Berkeley's Horse
- 1693 Cornelius Wood —Wood's Horse
- 1712 Thomas, Viscount Windsor —Lord Windsor's Horse
- 1717 George Wade —Wade's Horse
1746 3rd Regiment of Horse
- 1748 Sir Charles Howard K B —Sir Charles Howard's Horse
1751 3rd Regiment of Dragoon Guards
- 1751 Sir Charles Howard K B —Sir Charles Howard's Regiment of Dragoon Guards
1765 3rd (Prince of Wales's) Dragoon Guards
- 1765 Lord Robert Manners —Lord Robert Manners' Dragoon Guards
- 1782 Philip Honywood —Honywood's or Honeywood's Dragoon Guards
- 1785 Richard Burton Phillipson —Phillipson's Dragoon Guards
- 1792 Sir William Fawcett K B —Fawcett's Dragoon Guards
- 1804 Richard Vyse —Vyse's Dragoon Guards
1921 3rd Dragoon Guards (Prince of Wales's)
1922 3rd/6th Dragoon Guards
after the regiment was amalgamated with the 6th Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers)