2012 MLS SuperDraft
|2012 MLS SuperDraft|
|Date(s)||January 12, 2012|
|Time||12:00 p.m. (ET)|
|Location||Kansas City, Missouri|
|First selection||Andrew Wenger, Montreal Impact|
|Fewest selections||5 teams (1 selection)|
|Most selections||5 teams (3 selections)|
The 2012 MLS SuperDraft was the thirteenth annual SuperDraft presented by Major League Soccer. It was held on January 12, 2012 at 12:00 p.m. (ET). The draft was reduced from three rounds to two with the 19 MLS clubs selecting a total of 38 players. The expansion Montreal Impact had the first overall selection.
Changes from 2011
- As an expansion club, Montreal received the first pick in the SuperDraft.
- The SuperDraft was contracted from three rounds to two rounds, making it the shortest SuperDraft in terms of rounds.
The official selection order was set by Major League Soccer on October 21, 2011:
- 2012 expansion team Montreal Impact received the first selection;
- The eight clubs which did not qualify for the playoffs received picks #2 through #9 (in reverse order of season points);
- The two clubs eliminated in the Wild Card round of playoffs received picks #10 and #11 (in reverse order of season points);
- The four clubs eliminated in the Conference Semifinals received picks #12 through #15 (in reverse order of season points);
- The two clubs eliminated in the Conference Finals received picks #16 and #17 (in reverse order of season points);
- The club which lost the 2011 MLS Cup received pick #18;
- The club which won the 2011 MLS Cup received pick #19.
Any player marked with a * is part of the Generation Adidas program.
Round 1 trades
Any player marked with an * is part of the Generation Adidas program.
Round 2 trades
- #23: Toronto FC → Chicago Fire. 28 July 2011: Chicago Fire acquired this second-round selection and defender Dan Gargan from Toronto FC in exchange for defender Dasan Robinson.[ref 2]
- #24: Chivas USA → Real Salt Lake. 6 April 2010: Real Salt Lake acquired a conditional 2012 SuperDraft pick, which became this pick, from Chivas USA in exchange for the rights to defender Dario Delgado.[ref 3]
- #26: D.C. United → Columbus Crew. 6 August 2010: Columbus Crew acquired this second-round selection from D.C. United in exchange for defender Jed Zayner and a fourth-round selection in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft (which was converted to a first-round selection in the 2011 MLS Supplemental Draft).[ref 4]
- #30: FC Dallas → Sporting Kansas City. 9 March 2010: Sporting Kansas City acquired this second-round selection from FC Dallas in exchange for goalkeeper Kevin Hartman.[ref 5]
- #33: Colorado Rapids → San Jose Earthquakes. 7 April 2010: San Jose Earthquakes acquired this second-round selection from Colorado Rapids in exchange for forward Quincy Amarikwa.[ref 6]
- #35: Sporting Kansas City → Philadelphia Union. 30 June 2010: Philadelphia Union acquired this second-round selection, a second-round selection in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft, and allocation money from Kansas City Wizards in exchange for defender Shavar Thomas.[ref 7]
Round 3 and round 4 trades
Prior to the reduction of the 2012 SuperDraft to two rounds, trades were made which involved SuperDraft Round 3 and Round 4 selections. These selections were converted into 2012 MLS Supplemental Draft Round 1 and Round 2 selections.
Other draft day trades
- "2012 MLS SuperDraft set for Jan. 12 in Kansas City". MLSsoccer.com. 21 October 2011. Retrieved 21 October 2011.
- "Red Bulls acquire five-time MLS Best XI midfielder Dwayne De Rosario" (Press release). Red Bull New York Media Relations. 2011-04-01. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- "TFC Swaps Gargan for Robinson" (Press release). TorontoFC.ca. 2011-07-28. Retrieved 2011-07-28.
- French, Scott (2010-04-06). "Chivas USA adds Costa Rican defender". ESPN Los Angeles. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "D.C. United acquires defender Jed Zayner" (Press release). DC United Press Release. 2010-08-06. Archived from the original on 5 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Wizards trade Kevin Hartman" (Press release). Kansas City Wizards Media Relations. 2010-03-21. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Quakes Trade Amarikwa to Colorado" (Press release). San Jose Earthquakes Media Relations. 2010-04-07. Archived from the original on 31 December 2010. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Shavar Thomas Traded to Kansas City" (Press release). Philadelphia Union Communications. 2010-06-30. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Timbers Acquire First-Round Draft Pick, Allocation From New York In Exchange For Kenny Cooper" (Press release). Portland Timbers. 2012-01-12. Retrieved 2012-01-12.
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language