1940–1945 Colonial War Effort Medal
|1940-1945 Colonial War Effort Medal|
1940-1945 Colonial War Effort Medal (obverse)
|Awarded by Kingdom of Belgium|
|Awarded for||Service in Belgian colonies during World War II|
|Status||No longer awarded|
|Established||30 January 1947|
The 1940–1945 Colonial War Effort Medal (French: Médaille de l'Effort de Guerre Colonial 1940-1945, Dutch: Medaille voor de Koloniale Oorlogsinspanning 1940-1945) was a Belgian war service medal established by royal decree of the Regent on 30 January 1947 and awarded to government civil servants, magistrates, volunteer members of the female auxiliary service, missionaries, civilian agents of the different departments and civilians who served honourably for at least one year in the Belgian Congo or Ruanda-Urundi colonies of the Kingdom of Belgium in Africa between 10 May 1940 and 7 May 1945.
The 1940–1945 Colonial War Effort Medal was a 31mm wide by 52mm high bronze rectangular medal with sloping upper corners. Its obverse bore at its upper center an embossed five pointed star above the relief inscription on five rows "1940" "1945" "PRO PATRIA" "ET" "VICTORIA" between vertical laurel leaves. The smooth reverse was plain.
Notable recipients (partial list)↑Jump back a section
- "Royal Decree of the Regent of 30 January 1947 creating the 1940-1945 Colonial War Effort Medal". Belgian Government. 1947-01-30.
- "Recipients of the 1940-1945 Colonial War Effort Medal compiled from the ARS MORIENDI web site" (in French). ARS MORIENDI. 2012-07-06. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Quinot H., 1950, Recueil illustré des décorations belges et congolaises, 4e Edition. (Hasselt)
- Cornet R., 1982, Recueil des dispositions légales et réglementaires régissant les ordres nationaux belges. 2e Ed. N.pl., (Brussels)
- Borné A.C., 1985, Distinctions honorifiques de la Belgique, 1830-1985 (Brussels)
- Bibliothèque royale de Belgique (In French)
- Les Ordres Nationaux Belges (In French)
- ARS MORIENDI Notables from Belgian history (In French and Dutch)
Read in another language
This page is available in 1 language