Zulfiya Chinshanlo (Kazakh: Зүлфия Чиншанло; Russian: Зульфия Чиншанло; Chinese: 赵常玲, born 25 July 1993) is a Kazakh weightlifter. She set a world record in the clean and jerk on 29 July 2012 at the 2012 London Olympics by lifting 131 kg.
Chinshanlo at the 2009 World Championships
|Birth name||赵常玲 (Zhao Changling)|
|Born||25 July 1993|
|Height||1.55 m (5 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||53 kg (117 lb)|
|Coached by||Viktor Ni|
|Achievements and titles|
However, the validity of her record and title was called into question by a positive blood test result for the banned steroids oxandrolone and stanozolol, and she was "provisionally suspended" by the International Weightlifting Federation. Chinshanlo earned a gold medal at the 2014 World Championships. This was Kazakhstan's first podium finish at the competition.
According to Chinese official media Xinhua News, Zulfiya was born and grew up in Hunan Province, China, thus she has a Chinese name and can speak Chinese much more fluently than Russian. She emigrated to Kazakhstan in 2008 along with Maiya Maneza with the approval of Hunan sport officials on a five-year lease contract. She returned to China in 2012.
Chinese media wrote that the weightlifter received her Chinese ID in the Public Security Department of Changsha city on 22 October and was going to join the Chinese national team, because her 5-year contract with Kazakhstan allegedly expired.
“Zulfiya Chinshanlo is our sportswoman. I don’t know why foreign media is discussing a change of her citizenship. She is a citizen of Kazakhstan. She had been living and training in Kazakhstan since she was 14. No official claims have been submitted to our Agency or the Weightlifting Federation. Zulfiya was on vacation and decided to visit her relatives in China. After a break she will go back to training for the world championships and the next Olympics as a member of Kazakhstan national team,” Agency for Sports and Physical Culture Talgat Yermegiyayev said.
On 27 October 2012 Chinshanlo came back from China and announced:
“I would like to say that everything written about me in China is not true. I have proved it by coming back to Kazakhstan and being here right now. I would like to thank everyone who supported me. Once again, all these rumors are lies and I don’t want to return to discussing this issue again.”
However, according to official Kazakh records, Zulfiya was born 25 July 1993 in Almaty, Kazakhstan. Her father Salakhar Chinshanlo is a businessman who speaks fluently both Russian and Dungan language.
But Chinese media says her father is Guisheng Zhao(赵贵生), from Hunan Province,a baker running a bakery in her hometown - Daoxian(道县),who only speaks Mandarin Chinese, he also once said "bring my daughter back(from Kazakhstan)". And in the video we can see her contract with Kazak.She and Yao Meili(Yao li) aka Maiya Maneza were sold to Kazakhstan,(reporters believe) for $25,000 each and then became Kazak citizens.
2012 London OlympicsEdit
|Rank||Athlete||Group||Body weight||Snatch (kg)||Clean & Jerk (kg)||Total|
|DSQ||Zulfiya Chinshanlo (KAZ)||A||52.70||92||95||95||125||131||131||226|
|Hsu Shu-ching (TPE)||A||52.41||91||94||96||96||120||123||123||219|
|DSQ||Cristina Iovu (MDA)||A||52.79||95||99||99||115||120||120||219|
|Year||Venue||Weight||Snatch (kg)||Clean & Jerk (kg)||Total||Rank|
|2012||London, United Kingdom||53 kg||92||95||3||125||131||1||226|
|2009||Goyang, South Korea||53 kg||87||90||5||120||125||129||219|
|2011||Paris, France||53 kg||93||97||120||126||130||227|
|2014||Almaty, Kazakhstan||53 kg||95||98||127||133||134||232|
|2010||Guangzhou, China||53 kg||90||95||97||2||122||3||219|
|2014||Incheon, South Korea||53 kg||93||96||3||125||132||1||228|
|Youth Olympic Games|
|2010||Singapore, Singapore||58 kg||90||95||2||120||125||130||2||225|
|World Youth Championships|
|2009||Chiang Mai, Thailand||58 kg||85||89||92||115||207|
In June 2016, IWF announced that retests of the samples taken from the 2012 Olympics indicated that Zulfiya Chinshanlo had tested positive for prohibited substances, namely Oxandrolone and Stanazolol. Three other Kazakhs failed the doping test: Ilya Ilyin, Maiya Maneza and Svetlana Podobedova. They were disqualified and had their Olympic medals revoked on Oct 27, 2016.
- Zulfiya Returns Home to Represent China. cri.cn. 24 October 2012
- "Zulfiya Chinshanlo". www.london2012.com. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Chinshanlo wins Olympic gold, breaks clean and jerk record". Eurosport.Yahoo.com. Retrieved 30 July 2012.
- "PUBLIC DISCLOSURES | International Weightlifting Federation". Retrieved 16 June 2016.
- Lee, Chin-wei; Wu, Lilian (11 November 2014). "Taiwanese weightlifter takes gold, two silvers at worlds". Central News Agency. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- "Chinshanlo and Ilyin named best athletes of Asia". Tengrinews.kz English. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- "马内扎被曝辽宁出生 湖南官员称其出走经总局同意". sina.com.cn. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Weijue, Yan (30 July 2012) Skeleton in the closet of China's weightlifting hierarchy. China Daily.
- "Chinshanlo is a citizen of Kazakhstan: Talgat Yermegiyayev". Tengrinews.kz English. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "China has not officialy [sic] requested Kazakhstan to return Chinshanlo". Tengrinews.kz English. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- "Nothing China writes about me is true: Zulfiya Chinshanlo". Tengrinews.kz English. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- IWF public disclosures