Ziyat Asiyatovich Paigin (Russian: Зият Асиятович Пайгин; born 8 February 1995) is a Russian professional ice hockey defenceman. He is currently under contract with HC Sochi in the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL). He was selected with the Edmonton Oilers last pick in the 2015 NHL Entry Draft, 209th overall.
8 February 1995|
|Height||6 ft 6 in (198 cm)|
|Weight||195 lb (88 kg; 13 st 13 lb)|
Ak Bars Kazan
209th overall, 2015|
Paigin played youth hockey with Dizel Penza before he was drafted in the 2012 KHL Junior Draft, 82nd overall by Ak Bars Kazan. Paigin made his Kontinental Hockey League debut playing with Ak Bars Kazan during the 2014–15 KHL season registering a goal and assist in 33 games.
In the following 2015–16 season, despite Paigin's size and potential he was unable to break into Kazan's blueline full-time and after 8 games was traded to HC Sochi on 10 October 2015. Inserted into a regular role on Sochi's defense, Paigin instantly broke out offensively, scoring 9 goals and 27 points in 37 games and as a result was selected to participate in the 2016 KHL All-Star Game.
In the off-season, despite Sochi's attempts to extend the contract of Paigin, he was traded back to original club, Ak Bars Kazan, in exchange for financial compensation on 2 May 2016. In the following 2016–17 season, Paigin failed to build upon his previous season's success with Sochi. With reduced ice-time and also hampered by injury, Paigin posted 1 goal and 4 points in 17 games with Ak Bars. Incurring a demotion with Bars Kazan of the VHL at seasons end, Paigin opted to pursue his NHL ambitions in agreeing to an amateur try-out contract with the Oilers American Hockey League affiliate, the Bakersfield Condors, on 5 April 2017. Paigin reportedly was not happy with his ice time and role within his KHL team. On 11 April 2017, Paigin was signed by the Oilers to a two-year entry-level contract.
In the 2017–18 season, after attending the Oilers' training camp, Paigin was among the first cuts reassigned to continue with the Condors. He appeared in just 7 scoreless games and also masked as a frequent healthy scratch before Paigin was placed on unconditional waivers by the Oilers in order for a mutual termination of his contract on 21 November 2017. On December 15, 2017, he returned to the KHL, signing a two-year contract with Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.
In the 2018–19 season, Paigin dressed in only 8 games with 1 assist for Lokomotiv before he was reassigned to the VHL with HC Lada Togliatti. On December 7, 2018, Paigin returned to the scene of his success, as he was traded by Yaroslavl to HC Sochi in exchange for financial compensation.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2014–15||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||33||1||1||2||2||2||0||0||0||0|
|2015–16||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||8||0||1||1||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||Ak Bars Kazan||KHL||17||1||3||4||4||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||HC Lada Togliatti||VHL||14||2||7||9||6||—||—||—||—||—|
- "Ziyat paigin player profile". Kontinental Hockey League. 2 October 2015. Retrieved 2 October 2015.
- "HC Sochi acquire Ziyat Paigin" (in Russian). HC Sochi. 10 October 2015. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- "Ziyat Paigin leaving the Black Sea club" (in Russian). HC Sochi. 2 May 2016. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Condors sign Paigin to ATO". Bakersfield Condors. 5 April 2017. Retrieved 5 April 2017.
- Seren Rosso, Alessandro (9 April 2017). "Oilers' Prospect Ziyat Paigin Happy After Move Overseas". The Hockey Writers.
- "Oilers sign pair to ELC's". Edmonton Oilers. 11 April 2017. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "Edmonton Oilers organization cut ties with Russian prospect Ziyat Paigin". Edmonton Journal. 21 November 2017. Retrieved 21 November 2017.
- "Paigin signs contract with Lokomotiv" (in Russian). Kontinental Hockey League. 15 December 2017. Retrieved 15 December 2017.
- "Welcome back! Ziyat Paigin returns to Sochi" (in Russian). HC Sochi. 7 December 2018. Retrieved 7 December 2018.