Zigui County (simplified Chinese: 秭归县; traditional Chinese: 秭歸縣; pinyin: Zǐguī Xiàn) is a county of western Hubei province, People's Republic of China. It is under the administration of the prefecture-level city of Yichang and encompasses the easternmost portion of the Yangtze River Gorges, including the Xiling Gorge.
Part of the town of Maoping, the county seat
|Coordinates (Zigui government): Coordinates:|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Total||2,427 km2 (937 sq mi)|
|• Density||150/km2 (390/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (China Standard)|
|Alternative Chinese name|
The county seat of Zigui is now the town of Maoping (茅坪镇; Máopíng Zhèn), situated a few kilometers west of the Three Gorges Dam on the high southern shore of the river. The original Zigui town was upstream to the west and was abandoned and submerged under the rising waters of the reservoir in the early years of the 21st century. As it is common in China, Maoping is typically labelled as "Zigui County" (秭归县) or simply "Zigui" (秭归) on most maps.
- Maoping (茅坪镇), Guizhou (归州镇), Quyuan (屈原镇), Shazhenxi (沙镇溪镇), Lianghekou (两河口镇), Guojiaba (郭家坝镇), Yanglinqiao (杨林桥镇), Jiuwanxi (九畹溪镇)
A good view of the Three Gorges Dam, and of an ancillary dam further south, can be had from Maoping's riverside parks.
Most of Zigui is hilly or mountainous with basic farming and tea production. There are many small coal mines in the mountains, with the coal trucked to the river then loaded onto barges for shipping downstream.
Passenger boats and ferries travelling up and down the river can dock at the large passenger dock ("Zigui Harbor", 秭归港) at Maoping, or at Taipingxi Town on the north bank close to the Dam. Frequent bus service connects Maoping with the center city of Yichang to the east; there is also bus service to most towns in the county, as well as to the neighboring counties.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zigui County.|
- "131 ancient Chinese 'hanging' coffins found on side of 100m cliff near Three Gorges Dam". South China Morning Post. 15 December 2015. Archived from the original on December 16, 2015.
- 秭归县历史沿革 [Zigui County Historical Development] (in Chinese). XZQH.org. 14 July 2014. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
- 2017年统计用区划代码和城乡划分代码：秭归县 [2017 Statistical Area Numbers and Rural-Urban Area Numbers: Zigui County]. National Bureau of Statistics of the People's Republic of China. 2017. Retrieved 8 November 2018.
统计用区划代码 名称 420527101000 茅坪镇 420527102000 归州镇 420527103000 屈原镇 420527104000 沙镇溪镇 420527105000 两河口镇 420527106000 郭家坝镇 420527107000 杨林桥镇 420527108000 九畹溪镇 420527201000 水田坝乡 420527202000 泄滩乡 420527203000 梅家河乡 420527204000 磨坪乡
- 乡镇风采 列表页 [View of the Township-level divisions List] (in Chinese). Zigui County People's Government. Retrieved 8 November 2018.